Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1971 - 2008 (Creation)
- Faculty of Nursing
- Edmonton (Alberta)
Physical description area
110 cm of graphic over-sized material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Nursing courses at the University of Alberta were supported by the Canadian Red Cross from 1918 to 1923. The School of Nursing was officially established within the Faculty of Medicine in September, 1923 and the first four baccalaureate students (BScN) graduated in 1928. The clinical portion of the course was offered by the University of Alberta Hospital School of Nursing until 1966. Following the passage of the Universities Act in that year, the School of Nursing became an autonomous academic unit within the University. The four-year integrated Baccalaureate in Nursing program was implemented at this time. The School of Nursing received Faculty status in 1976. Graduate degrees have been available since 1975. Off-campus and collaborative programs with the community and junior colleges of Alberta have been developed, and the merger of the University of Alberta Hospitals School of Nursing and the Faculty of Nursing will take place in the fall term, 1991/92. The goal of the Faculty is to be a centre of excellence in Nursing for the advancement, dissemination and application of nursing knowledge through teaching, research and public service. Directors: 1937-1940 Agnes Jean MacLeod; 1940-1943 Helen Griffith McArthur; 1943-1946 Madeline McCulla Larson (Acting); 1946-1956 Helen E.M. Penhale; 1957-1975 Ruth Elizabeth McClure. Deans: 1976 Ruth Elizabeth McClure; 1976-1980 Amy Elliott Zelmer; 1980- Peggy-Anne Field; 1982-1987 Janetta MacPhail; 1987- Marilyn J. Wood.
The class composites were created as the graduating classes for various programs and remained with the Faculty of Nursing College of Health Sciences until transferred to the custody of the UAA.
Scope and content
The accession consists of 100 cm of class composites images of graduating classes for various nursing programs and years. The composites were held at B-112 (East) Clinical Sciences Building.
The composites are generally in good condition. some images have fallen away from their place holding.
Immediate source of acquisition
Faculty of Nursing - Office of the Dean
The composites are arranged by program and by year.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Images are open.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Transfer Agreement, AB FOIP.
A finding aid has been created for the items (item by item)
No further specific accruals of composites are expected.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
J. Franks (December 6 2022).