Accession UAA-2019-003 - UAA-2019-003

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

UAA-2019-003

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

UAA-2019-003

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

Accession consists of thirteen play-scripts and screenplays by Ben Tarver were purchased by UA Libraries from Cloud Hill Books. These items include Diana (Diana Has Her Portrait Painted in Taos), The Savage Dream, End the Beguine, Cross and Cockade, The Windy Well Affair, Columbus, Alamogordo, The Murder of Auguste Dauphin, Blind Goddess, Blaze of Glory, Free Trade, Flying Heart and Dr. Barry. As well, the material comprises a binder of 2" x 2" slides (approximately 580) received by UAlberta North which had discovered it within the materials they received as successor to the Canadian Circumpolar Institute (CCI).

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1909-)

Administrative history

The University Senate created the University Libraries in 1909. The original collection featured general reference works and required readings for arts and science courses. The collection also contained Canadian books donated to the Library by Dr. A.C. Rutherford. The first library reading room was established in the Guggan St. public school (now Queen Alexandria), the location of the first university classes. The University Senate originally allocated $5,000 to purchase books for a library and endeavored to continue a steadily growing library resource. In 1911, Athabasca Hall was completed. It was used as a combined residence and teaching building. The library was located on the third floor. By this year, through gifts and Senate funds, the Library had acquired a collection of 6,000 books plus leading magazines and newspapers. There were also reference books available for consultation. The Arts building was opened in 1915. It maintained a library reading room in Room 110. The stack room was located on the floor below. During this decade, the Library collections grew slowly with the help of private donations. The Library continued its slow growth through the 1920s. Under D.E. Cameron the Library introduced a $5.00 registration fee for the Library. This was the principal source for books until 1958-1959. The accessions reached 30,000 in 1928 and by 1932 it held 45,085 volumes. In 1928 the Edmonton Academy of Medicine transferred its collection of medical books to the University. This promoted the Library into the chief resource library for medical practitioners across the province. The Library published its first report in 1928. A feature of the first report was a description of the Library binding service, initially performed by Mr. Pyewell. This service continued on campus until 1959 when the service was tendered to private companies. By 1963-64, over two thirds of the 6400 bound volumes were bound off campus. The library experienced space problems throughout the 1920s. Due to lack of space in the Arts building, in 1922 the agricultural and medical reading rooms were moved to other spaces. In 1923 new, separate space was set up for a law library. Ad hoc space solutions continued for the next twenty years while acquisitions and students accumulated. Between 1930 and 1939 the University added approximately 25, 000 volumes. The Library continued its book acquisition through the Depression thanks largely to its registration fee. In 1932 it received a Carnegie Corporation grant of $15,000 to purchase books. As space problems continued the Library began to store books in underground passages. The postwar era brought resources to the Library and responsibilities and services increased. The university Librarian assumed direction of the Edmonton Normal School library when the Faculty of Education took responsibility for all provincial teachers training. The influx of veterans raised the student population to 3,300. The reading room capacity remained 285. Thousands of Education books were taken out of storage in the summer of 1946 to address demand. In 1946, librarians were given academic status and a new salary scale. In Calgary the University Library acquired post-war era independence over acquisition and services. The Calgary education library was reclassified in the Dewey system between 1947 and 1948. The demand for library services in Calgary increased with the growing curriculum. Until 1960, Edmonton campus processed all ordering and classifying for the Calgary library. By 1958, as curriculum changed, the Calgary Library was again reclassified using the Library of Congress system. This project was completed in 1960. By 1963, the Calgary Library was operating in complete independence of Edmonton. In the winter of 1945-46 the plans continued for a new library building. Honorable John Campbell Bowen, Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, laid the cornerstone for the new library on November 25, 1948. The Rutherford Library was completed in May 1951. 150,000 volumes from various reading rooms on campus were moved to the new building in eight days. Considerable policy, procedure and services were formulated with the new facility’s arrival: 1952 saw the first fines for reserve books; the following year new geography courses initiated a library map collection; the Library Committee was reconstituted.

Custodial history

Set of play-scripts and screenplays by Ben Tarver were purchased by UA Libraries from Cloud Hill Books. Bibliographic Services (Sharon Farnel) maintained custody of the materials until transferred to the UAA. A binder of 2" x 2" slides (approximately 580) received by UAlberta North which had discovered it within the materials they received as successor to the Canadian Circumpolar Institute (CCI). The material was given to UAL Bibliographic Services (Metadata Services) until transferred by Sharon Farnel to the UAA,

Scope and content

Accession consists of thirteen play-scripts and screenplays by Ben Tarver were purchased by UA Libraries from Cloud Hill Books. These items include Diana (Diana Has Her Portrait Painted in Taos), The Savage Dream, End the Beguine, Cross and Cockade, The Windy Well Affair, Columbus, Alamogordo, The Murder of Auguste Dauphin, Blind Goddess, Blaze of Glory, Free Trade, Flying Heart and Dr. Barry. As well, the material comprises a binder of 2" x 2" slides (approximately 580) received by UAlberta North which had discovered it within the materials they received as successor to the Canadian Circumpolar Institute (CCI).

Notes area

Physical condition

Very good

Immediate source of acquisition

UAL Bibliographic Services (Metadata Services). Transferred by Sharon Farnel

Arrangement

Slides arranged by event (i.e.,) conference or subject (Northern Provinces). The slides are maintained in the order received (removed from binder) and maintained in the slide sleeves in which they are originally are housed. The screenplays are arranged according to the original order in which they arrived. The plays identified by title in the inventory along with other descriptive metadata.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

University of Alberta Libraries 5th floor Cameron Library - Bibliographic Services.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None generally (check for copyright re: screenplays)

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

FOIP, Policy, Copyright.

Finding aids

A finding aid has been develop ed for the screenplays and includes a general description of slides according to event/subject (series) and dates.

Associated materials

Canadian Circumpolar Institute (RG) and Ben Taver as part of Theatre Network materials held at the UAA.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

UAA

Rules or conventions

RAD

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

January 29th 2019

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres