Accession UAA-2004-055 - UAA-2004-055

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

UAA-2004-055

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Grafisch materiaal

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Accession

referentie code

UAA-2004-055

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1977-1989 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    Museums and Collections Services

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

20 cm of graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(1977-)

Institutionele geschiedenis

The University began receiving gifts of historical, artistic or scientific value as soon as it was established. Dr. John A. Allan, first professor of geology, planned a museum of teaching specimens and began serious collecting upon his appointment in 1912. In time, custody of the collections in fine and applied arts, archaeological and anthropological specimens which were presented to the University, became part of his responsibility. Each department had custody and maintenance of any gifts it received. Record keeping was erratic and storage conditions substandard. Dr. E.S. 'Frank' Keeping, of the Department of Mathematics, initiated exhibitions of art works during the 1940s. In most cases these were travelling exhibits. From 1947 to 1949 Dr. Keeping was officially Curator of Art Exhibits. This post passed to H.G. Glyde, and his successors as Chairs of the Department of Art, who served as Curator of the Art Gallery and Museum. There was still no central Art Gallery or Museum or registry on campus. In 1964, the Fine Arts Gallery (not connected with University Collections until 1968) exhibited in one of the houses acquired in the University's expansion into North Garneau. The Gallery was renamed 'University Art Gallery and Museum' in 1968 and in 1970 moved to Ring House One, the President's former home. The Department of Art ceased funding for the Gallery and Museum in 1974. Until the appointment of Helen Collinson as Director and Curator in 1977, special funding kept the unit operating. In 1977 the University Collections Centre was established. The University took custody of all art and museum materials made, received or collected by any department or officer of the University for the purposes of teaching, research, reference or exhibition. The Centre provided the services of exhibit assistance, registration, preservation, and some storage. Policies on acquisitions, budget, and liaison were reviewed by the University Collections Committee. From 1986 to 1990 the University Archives and University Collections were amalgamated. In 1990 the Archives was placed under the authority of the University Librarian; University Collections became Museum and Collections Services, reporting to the Vice-President (Student and Academic Services). The major policy and acquisitions committees continue in their duties. The organization, Friends of the University of Alberta Museums, has been established to assist in fundraising and liaison with the community. Directors: 1977-1986 Helen Fabia Collinson; 1986-1990 James McPherson Parker; 1990- Janine Andrews.

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

Ringhouse Gallery photographic slides

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

good

Directe bron van verwerving

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels

Schrift van het materiaal

    Plaats van originelen

    Photographs

    Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

    Restrictions on access

    open

    Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

    Toegangen

    file inventory; case file; index

    Associated materials

    Related materials

    Aanvullingen

    12.10.2004

    Algemene aantekening

    File list is in case file.

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standaard nummer

    Trefwoorden

    Onderwerp trefwoord

    Geografische trefwoorden

    Naam ontsluitingsterm

    Genre access points

    Beheer

    Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

    University

    Identificatiecode van de instelling

    AEU

    Regels of conventies

    Status

    Niveau van detaillering

    Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

    LMCPHERSON 10.15.2007

    Taal van de beschrijving

      Schrift van de beschrijving

        Bronnen

        Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik