Accession UAA-2003-071 - UAA-2003-071

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

UAA-2003-071

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

UAA-2003-071

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Дата(ы)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.2 m of textual records; 100 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Область архивного описания

Имя автора

(1977-)

Administrative history

The University began receiving gifts of historical, artistic or scientific value as soon as it was established. Dr. John A. Allan, first professor of geology, planned a museum of teaching specimens and began serious collecting upon his appointment in 1912. In time, custody of the collections in fine and applied arts, archaeological and anthropological specimens which were presented to the University, became part of his responsibility. Each department had custody and maintenance of any gifts it received. Record keeping was erratic and storage conditions substandard. Dr. E.S. 'Frank' Keeping, of the Department of Mathematics, initiated exhibitions of art works during the 1940s. In most cases these were travelling exhibits. From 1947 to 1949 Dr. Keeping was officially Curator of Art Exhibits. This post passed to H.G. Glyde, and his successors as Chairs of the Department of Art, who served as Curator of the Art Gallery and Museum. There was still no central Art Gallery or Museum or registry on campus. In 1964, the Fine Arts Gallery (not connected with University Collections until 1968) exhibited in one of the houses acquired in the University's expansion into North Garneau. The Gallery was renamed 'University Art Gallery and Museum' in 1968 and in 1970 moved to Ring House One, the President's former home. The Department of Art ceased funding for the Gallery and Museum in 1974. Until the appointment of Helen Collinson as Director and Curator in 1977, special funding kept the unit operating. In 1977 the University Collections Centre was established. The University took custody of all art and museum materials made, received or collected by any department or officer of the University for the purposes of teaching, research, reference or exhibition. The Centre provided the services of exhibit assistance, registration, preservation, and some storage. Policies on acquisitions, budget, and liaison were reviewed by the University Collections Committee. From 1986 to 1990 the University Archives and University Collections were amalgamated. In 1990 the Archives was placed under the authority of the University Librarian; University Collections became Museum and Collections Services, reporting to the Vice-President (Student and Academic Services). The major policy and acquisitions committees continue in their duties. The organization, Friends of the University of Alberta Museums, has been established to assist in fundraising and liaison with the community. Directors: 1977-1986 Helen Fabia Collinson; 1986-1990 James McPherson Parker; 1990- Janine Andrews.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Glyde collection with inventory, 35mm slides and photographs.

Область заметок

Физическое состояние

good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • английский

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Main

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    open

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    accession register; index; case file

    Associated materials

    Related materials

    Accruals

    11.23.2003

    General note

    Photographic extent is crude estimate.

    Альтернативный идентификатор(ы)

    Standard number

    Точки доступа

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    University

    Institution identifier

    AEU

    Rules or conventions

    Статус

    Level of detail

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    DBRACEWELL 4.22.2009

    Language of description

      Script of description

        Sources

        Accession area