Accession UAA-2001-152 - UAA-2001-152

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper


General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • [1960-1990] (Creation)
    Museums and Collections Services

Physical description area

Physical description

2 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The University began receiving gifts of historical, artistic or scientific value as soon as it was established. Dr. John A. Allan, first professor of geology, planned a museum of teaching specimens and began serious collecting upon his appointment in 1912. In time, custody of the collections in fine and applied arts, archaeological and anthropological specimens which were presented to the University, became part of his responsibility. Each department had custody and maintenance of any gifts it received. Record keeping was erratic and storage conditions substandard. Dr. E.S. 'Frank' Keeping, of the Department of Mathematics, initiated exhibitions of art works during the 1940s. In most cases these were travelling exhibits. From 1947 to 1949 Dr. Keeping was officially Curator of Art Exhibits. This post passed to H.G. Glyde, and his successors as Chairs of the Department of Art, who served as Curator of the Art Gallery and Museum. There was still no central Art Gallery or Museum or registry on campus. In 1964, the Fine Arts Gallery (not connected with University Collections until 1968) exhibited in one of the houses acquired in the University's expansion into North Garneau. The Gallery was renamed 'University Art Gallery and Museum' in 1968 and in 1970 moved to Ring House One, the President's former home. The Department of Art ceased funding for the Gallery and Museum in 1974. Until the appointment of Helen Collinson as Director and Curator in 1977, special funding kept the unit operating. In 1977 the University Collections Centre was established. The University took custody of all art and museum materials made, received or collected by any department or officer of the University for the purposes of teaching, research, reference or exhibition. The Centre provided the services of exhibit assistance, registration, preservation, and some storage. Policies on acquisitions, budget, and liaison were reviewed by the University Collections Committee. From 1986 to 1990 the University Archives and University Collections were amalgamated. In 1990 the Archives was placed under the authority of the University Librarian; University Collections became Museum and Collections Services, reporting to the Vice-President (Student and Academic Services). The major policy and acquisitions committees continue in their duties. The organization, Friends of the University of Alberta Museums, has been established to assist in fundraising and liaison with the community. Directors: 1977-1986 Helen Fabia Collinson; 1986-1990 James McPherson Parker; 1990- Janine Andrews.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Aerial photographs of campus (2m X 3m).

Notes area

Physical condition


Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals


    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access


    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    accession register; index

    Associated materials

    Related materials



    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier


    Institution identifier


    Rules or conventions


    Level of detail

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    DBRACEWELL 5.5.2009

    Language of description

      Script of description


        Accession area