Accession UAA-1984-085 - UAA-1984-085

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

UAA-1984-085

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

UAA-1984-085

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1954-1956 (Creation)
    Creator
    Office of the Registrar and Student Awards

Physical description area

Physical description

0.05 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1910 - 2009)

Administrative history

Dr. H.M. Tory undertook the responsibilities of a Registrar in the first two years of the University’s existence. In 1910, as the number of students expanded into the hundreds, the University appointed Cecil Race the first full-time Registrar. Race performed the duties of Registrar and Librarian in 1910. From 1910 to 1920 he served the dual role of Registrar and Bursar. He continued as Registrar until 1926. The first two decades of operation saw the University rapidly grow in number of courses, programs, and students. Accordingly, the first Assistant Registrar, Mr. G. B. Taylor, was appointed in 1930. Taylor succeeded Ottewell as Acting Registrar in 1945 and as Registrar in 1946. Taylor served as Registrar until 1956. The Registrar’s Office was housed in two converted classrooms and a small laboratory room on the second floor of the Arts building. The work was divided on a vertical basis. The Registrar was responsible for serving as Secretary of the General Faculty Council and as Secretary of the Senate. From 1946 to 1953 the Assistant Registrar, the Registrar’s Secretary, the Records Clerk, the Scholarship Clerk, and the First Year Committee Clerk all reported to the Registrar. Reporting to the Assistant Registrar were the Admissions Clerk, the Examinations Clerk, and the Professional Examinations Clerk. In 1947-48 the staff consisted of the registrar, the Assistant Registrar, and fourteen clerks and stenographers. In 1956, the Associate Registrar, Mr. Alex Cairns, succeeded Mr. Taylor. He served as Registrar unit 1978. This period witnessed the greatest increase in students and corresponding increase in academic programs in the University’s history. Significant changes followed in both the scope and method of the Registrar’s administrative work. These included: in 1959-60 the newly created Office of the Administration of Student Awards assumed from the Registrar responsibility for scholarships and bursaries; in the same year, the newly created Administrator of Professional Examinations took over responsibility for exams. In 1960-61, electronic data processing began in the Registrar’s Office, several advances in processing records of student grades and courses followed. Amongst these in 1963 a decentralized system of assigning students to classes was introduced in place of the traditional “mass registration,” and in 1968 the Registrar adopted a “nine-point” grading system, and a revised system of weighting courses and of calculating grade-point averages. This resulted in a redesign of a substantial number of recordkeeping forms. Also in 1969 the Registrar relinquished the responsibility for acting as Secretary of General Faculties Council and of its Executive Committee to the newly established University Secretariat. The Registrar remained an ex-officio member of both bodies. In 1969 the Registrar assumed the following significant responsibilities: editing, production, and distribution of University Calendars; management of all centrally scheduled classroom space; and high school liaison. In the early 1970s, changes to the management of student records included: 1971-27, evening credit classes were integrated in day schedules; 1972, first Spring Session introduced; 1973-74, a system of advanced registration is introduced; 1977, the administration of Special Admissions Examinations (NCAT, LAST, TOEFL, etc.) was assumed by the Registrar. In 1972 the Registrar relinquished his duties as Secretary of the Senate and of its various committees to the first full-time Executive Officer of the Senate. From December 1978 to December 31, 1978, the Associate Registrar, Mr. Morgan, served as Acting Registrar. In January, 1980, Dr. W.A. Blanchard, Professor of Psychology, and Associate Dean of Arts since 1972, was appointed Registrar. Brian J. Sizer succeeded him in 1984.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Students' Union Telephone Directories

Notes area

Physical condition

good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Main

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    open

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    accession register; index

    Associated materials

    Related materials

    Accruals

    7.9.1984

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Quasi university

    Institution identifier

    AEU

    Rules or conventions

    Status

    Level of detail

    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    DBRACEWELL 7.14.2009

    Language of description

      Script of description

        Sources

        Accession area