Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Department of Radio and Television
Physical description area
1 audio tape
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Department of Radio and Television was established to coordinate and expand radio and television activities at the University. It incorporated Broadcasting Services (formerly, Radio Services) which had operated since the 1940s. Functions of the Department included: technical support services to campus including dubbing, equipment maintenance and loan service; operation of a closed circuit television system; production of video, film, and radio programs for broadcast on local radio and television stations; documentation of campus conferences, lectures and special events. In 1987, the Department was disbanded and television became a division of Technical Services, while radio was discontinued. In 1990, production functions were assigned to a new Division, the Video Production Centre. Directors: [1946-1958] Margery W. Mackenzie; 1958-1967 Guy H. Vaughan; 1967-1972 Henry Mamet; 1973-1976 William H. Jopling (Acting); 1977-1987 William H. Jopling. Supervisors: 1987-  Wes Denison. Video Producers: - Don Spence.
Name of creator
Harry Emmet Gunning was born on December 16, 1916 in Toronto, Ontario. He received his education at the University of Toronto including, a BA Honours, MA in English, and PhD in Physical Chemistry in 1942. Following graduation he became a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University and a research chemist in Dr. Edgard Steacie’s Laboratory in Ottawa, Ontario. He was also a research fellow for three years with the National Research Council of Canada. In 1946, Gunning taught at the University of Rochester and later at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
In 1957, Dr. Gunning was recruited to the University of Alberta as a Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry. He was determined and actively supported to build a world-class chemistry department. Within a decade, under the leadership of Dr. Gunning, the Department of Chemistry achieved international recognition as a rapidly evolving centre of excellence for chemical studies. In 1973, the east wing to the Chemistry Building was built to house the rapidly expanding department with the support of Dr. Gunning.
Dr. Gunning became the 8th President of the University of Alberta in 1974. During his presidency between 1974 and 1979, Gunning introduced many innovations in science policy and administration and promoted interaction between academia, industry, and government. In addition, Gunning played a key role in promoting research and development for the exploitation of Alberta's vast oil sand resources. He helped develop Chembiomed Ltd and was instrumental in establishing the Edmonton Research and Development Park. He retired from the University in 1982.
Gunning was a physical chemist, he was internationally recognized for his research in photochemistry, kinetic mass spectrometry, reaction kinetic chemistry and oilsands chemistry and published over 175 research papers. He was president of the Chemical Institute of Canada from 1973 to 1974. He has been an active member of numerous municipal, provincial, and federal commissions and boards, including the Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority.
In recognition of his achievements both as scholar and administrator, Gunning received numerous awards, including the Chemical Institute of Canada Medal in 1967, the Province of Alberta Achievement Award in both 1971 and 1979, and six honorary degrees. Gunning was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1979. On November 30, 2001, the Chemistry Building on the University of Alberta campus was renamed the Gunning/Lemieux Chemistry Centre in honour of two of the Department's most distinguished chemists, Harry Gunning and Raymond Urgel Lemieux.
Gunning died at age of 85 on November 24, 2002 in Edmonton, Alberta. Gunning’s wife Donna taught school, and died in 1992. They have a daughter, Judy and three grandsons.
Scope and content
Audio recording of Dr. H.E. Gunning addressing "The Friends of the University"
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Special Collections: A/V Vault
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
accession register; index
Formerly RG20 Technical Services.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion