Museums and Collections Services

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Museums and Collections Services

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

      • University Collections
      • University Art Gallery and Museum
      • University Art Gallery

      Identifiers for corporate bodies

      Description area

      Dates of existence

      1977-

      History

      The University began receiving gifts of historical, artistic or scientific value as soon as it was established. Dr. John A. Allan, first professor of geology, planned a museum of teaching specimens and began serious collecting upon his appointment in 1912. In time, custody of the collections in fine and applied arts, archaeological and anthropological specimens which were presented to the University, became part of his responsibility. Each department had custody and maintenance of any gifts it received. Record keeping was erratic and storage conditions substandard. Dr. E.S. 'Frank' Keeping, of the Department of Mathematics, initiated exhibitions of art works during the 1940s. In most cases these were travelling exhibits. From 1947 to 1949 Dr. Keeping was officially Curator of Art Exhibits. This post passed to H.G. Glyde, and his successors as Chairs of the Department of Art, who served as Curator of the Art Gallery and Museum. There was still no central Art Gallery or Museum or registry on campus. In 1964, the Fine Arts Gallery (not connected with University Collections until 1968) exhibited in one of the houses acquired in the University's expansion into North Garneau. The Gallery was renamed 'University Art Gallery and Museum' in 1968 and in 1970 moved to Ring House One, the President's former home. The Department of Art ceased funding for the Gallery and Museum in 1974. Until the appointment of Helen Collinson as Director and Curator in 1977, special funding kept the unit operating. In 1977 the University Collections Centre was established. The University took custody of all art and museum materials made, received or collected by any department or officer of the University for the purposes of teaching, research, reference or exhibition. The Centre provided the services of exhibit assistance, registration, preservation, and some storage. Policies on acquisitions, budget, and liaison were reviewed by the University Collections Committee. From 1986 to 1990 the University Archives and University Collections were amalgamated. In 1990 the Archives was placed under the authority of the University Librarian; University Collections became Museum and Collections Services, reporting to the Vice-President (Student and Academic Services). The major policy and acquisitions committees continue in their duties. The organization, Friends of the University of Alberta Museums, has been established to assist in fundraising and liaison with the community. Directors: 1977-1986 Helen Fabia Collinson; 1986-1990 James McPherson Parker; 1990- Janine Andrews.

      Places

      Legal status

      Functions, occupations and activities

      Mandates/sources of authority

      Internal structures/genealogy

      General context

      Relationships area

      Related entity

      University Archives and Collections (1986 - 1990)

      Identifier of related entity

      UAA

      Category of relationship

      temporal

      Type of relationship

      University Archives and Collections is the predecessor of Museums and Collections Services

      Dates of relationship

      Description of relationship

      Related entity

      Ring House Gallery

      Identifier of related entity

      UAA

      Category of relationship

      associative

      Type of relationship

      Ring House Gallery is the associate of Museums and Collections Services

      Dates of relationship

      Description of relationship

      Access points area

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Occupations

      Control area

      Authority record identifier

      UAA

      Institution identifier

      Rules and/or conventions used

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language(s)

        Script(s)

          Sources

          Maintenance notes