Place: Red River Settlement
From: Reverend Abraham Cowley, Partridge Crop
To: Reverend John Smithurst
Notes: Partridge Crop was a missionary outpost on the northern reaches of Lake Manitoba, and was later renamed Fairford in 1851 by Bishop Anderson.
The outpost was on the left bank of the Partridge Crop River and was established by McNap for Winter trading with the Indigenous people. The lengthy letter from Cowley mentions topics such as the recent arrival of the bishop, his meeting of confirmation candidates and inspecting the school.
This letter would have travelled by canoe down Lake Winnipeg to the Red River.