Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Faculty of Engineering
- Edmonton (Alberta)
Physical description area
Accession includes 1.07 meters (394) graduating class composites. Physical dimensions of the items range from 9.75" x 8.00" to 60.0" x 44.50".
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Engineering has been offered at the University of Alberta since it opened in 1908, but it did not have its own department until 1913, when the Department of Applied Science was created in the Faculty of Arts and Science. The department was renamed the Faculty of Engineering in 1948. The faculty is comprised of the departments of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering. The faculty administers undergraduate and graduate programs leading to BSc, MEng, MSc and PhD degrees in chemical, civil, computer, electrical, mechanical, metallurgical, mineral, and petroleum engineering, and engineering physics. In addition, it administers a cooperative program, which alternates coursework with periods of paid, discipline-related work experience with cooperating companies.
Professors: 1908-1918 William Muir Edwards; 1919-1921 Robert William Boyle.
Deans: 1921-1929 Robert William Boyle; 1929- 1946 Robert Starr Leigh Wilson; 1946-1959 Robert Macdonald Hardy; 1959-1963 George Wheeler Govier; 1963-1971 Robert Macdonald Hardy; 1971-1976 George Ford; 1976-1984 Peter Frederick Gordon Adams; 1984-1985 George Ford; 1985- Frederick Douglas Otto.
Scope and content
The accession comprises 394 Faculty of Engineering graduating class composites and related association images including the mining and geology society.
Immediate source of acquisition
The accession has been created and maintained by the Faculty of Engineering until transferred to the custody of the University Archives via the Office of the Dean of Engineering. The class composites were created by the faculty as part of the graduation protocol of the faculty. The composites resided in the halls of various Engineering buildings over time. The accession was acquired directly from the Faculty of Engineering March 09 2021.
The composites physically arranged by academic program and compiled chronologically. Each item is arranged by program and described chronologically by year.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A comprehensive finding aid has been developed comprising each composite, its program information, year, physical dimensions and physical location prior to transfer to the UAA.
No further accruals are expected.
The Faculty of Engineering has digitised the composites prior to their transfer to the UAA.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Faculty of Engineering (Subject)
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Subject)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (Subject)
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Subject)
- Department of Mining and Metallurgy (Subject)
- Department of Chemical Engineering (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
J. Franks 18 August 2021