Accession - UAA-1974-065

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

UAA-1974-065

General material designation

  • Sound recording

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1974-04- (Creation)
    Creator
    Department of Radio and Television

Physical description area

Physical description

1 audio tape

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Department of Radio and Television was established to coordinate and expand radio and television activities at the University. It incorporated Broadcasting Services (formerly, Radio Services) which had operated since the 1940s. Functions of the Department included: technical support services to campus including dubbing, equipment maintenance and loan service; operation of a closed circuit television system; production of video, film, and radio programs for broadcast on local radio and television stations; documentation of campus conferences, lectures and special events. In 1987, the Department was disbanded and television became a division of Technical Services, while radio was discontinued. In 1990, production functions were assigned to a new Division, the Video Production Centre. Directors: [1946-1958] Margery W. Mackenzie; 1958-1967 Guy H. Vaughan; 1967-1972 Henry Mamet; 1973-1976 William H. Jopling (Acting); 1977-1987 William H. Jopling. Supervisors: 1987- [1990] Wes Denison. Video Producers: [1990]- Don Spence.

Name of creator

(1916-2002)

Biographical history

Harry Emmet Gunning was born on December 16, 1916 in Toronto, Ontario. He received his education at the University of Toronto including, a BA Honours, MA in English, and PhD in Physical Chemistry in 1942. Following graduation he became a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University and a research chemist in Dr. Edgard Steacie’s Laboratory in Ottawa, Ontario. He was also a research fellow for three years with the National Research Council of Canada. In 1946, Gunning taught at the University of Rochester and later at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

In 1957, Dr. Gunning was recruited to the University of Alberta as a Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry. He was determined and actively supported to build a world-class chemistry department. Within a decade, under the leadership of Dr. Gunning, the Department of Chemistry achieved international recognition as a rapidly evolving centre of excellence for chemical studies. In 1973, the east wing to the Chemistry Building was built to house the rapidly expanding department with the support of Dr. Gunning.

Dr. Gunning became the 8th President of the University of Alberta in 1974. During his presidency between 1974 and 1979, Gunning introduced many innovations in science policy and administration and promoted interaction between academia, industry, and government. In addition, Gunning played a key role in promoting research and development for the exploitation of Alberta's vast oil sand resources. He helped develop Chembiomed Ltd and was instrumental in establishing the Edmonton Research and Development Park. He retired from the University in 1982.

Gunning was a physical chemist, he was internationally recognized for his research in photochemistry, kinetic mass spectrometry, reaction kinetic chemistry and oilsands chemistry and published over 175 research papers. He was president of the Chemical Institute of Canada from 1973 to 1974. He has been an active member of numerous municipal, provincial, and federal commissions and boards, including the Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority.

In recognition of his achievements both as scholar and administrator, Gunning received numerous awards, including the Chemical Institute of Canada Medal in 1967, the Province of Alberta Achievement Award in both 1971 and 1979, and six honorary degrees. Gunning was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1979. On November 30, 2001, the Chemistry Building on the University of Alberta campus was renamed the Gunning/Lemieux Chemistry Centre in honour of two of the Department's most distinguished chemists, Harry Gunning and Raymond Urgel Lemieux.

Gunning died at age of 85 on November 24, 2002 in Edmonton, Alberta. Gunning’s wife Donna taught school, and died in 1992. They have a daughter, Judy and three grandsons.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Audio recording of Dr. H.E. Gunning addressing "The Friends of the University"

Notes area

Physical condition

good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Special Collections: A/V Vault

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

accession register; index

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

5.7.1974

General note

Formerly RG20 Technical Services.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

University

Institution identifier

AEU

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

DBRACEWELL 8.20.2009

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres