Title and statement of responsibility area
PE001087 - Winnipeg Jewish Community Wartime Materials
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1938 - 1941 (Creation)
Physical description area
- A 22.75x15cm folded sheet invitation booklet,
- An 18.5x12.5cm folded sheet invitation booklet
- A 20x18cm folded sheet informational booklet
- A 16.5x14cm card invitation
- A 9.75x12.5cm card invitation
- An 18x25.5cm album, with a brown cover labelled ‘photographs’. Bound with cord. Approx. 37 leaves, made from black construction paper. Contains approx. 50 small cards and invitations of various sizes.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Scope and content
These materials comprise various cards, invitations and programs originating from the Jewish community in Winnipeg immediately prior to, and during the first years of the Second World War. Included are:
- An invitation to a ‘stag’ in honor of Hy Chmelnitsky, held on Dec. 27, 1941.
- An invitation to the wedding of Mary Zilberman and Jack Chochinov, held on Dec. 21, 1941.
- A pamphlet from the National Council of Canadian Hadassah, which carries information about the work performed by the council in facilitating and supporting the movement of Jewish refugees into Palestine.
- An invitation to, and program for an open meeting of the Hadassah Organizations of Winnipeg. The booklet includes a brief description of the Hadassah’s contribution to the Allied war effort.
- An invitation to the wedding of the children of the Gold and Chmelnitsky families, Leah and Hymie, held on Jan. 4, 1942.
- An album containing a variety of small – generally business card sized - greeting cards or invitation, as well as membership cards for the Hadassah Organization of Canada. Many of the cards carry content in Hebrew script, in addition to English text.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Bruce Peel Special Collections is part of the University of Alberta Libraries.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Unable to determine whether Hebrew script text was Yiddish or Hebrew language material.