Showing 41 results

Description
Department of Chemistry
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

41 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cold Rooms

Two cold rooms one for storing volatile and unstable chemicals and the other is equipped as a laboratory.

Main Supply Room

Main supply room for the storage and retrieval of chemicals, glassware and other equipment needed for teaching and research. The supply room was located in the basement of the Physical Science Centre.

Inorganic and Analytical Research Laboratory

Photograph taken in the Inorganic and Analytical Research Laboratory. Image focuses on the Leeds & Northrup Electro Chemograph Type E with a built in Speedomax Recorder designed for polarography analysis. Machine commonly used in the study of kinetics and mechanism of inorganic reactions. Image also appears in "New Physical Sciences Centre" booklet advertising the newly built facility.

Glass Blowing Shop

Two technicians working on glass lathes in the Glass Blowing Shop. This room was used for the building and design of new glass equipment for research. The shop was located in the basement of the physics-mathematics wing.

Physical Science Center

Physical Science Center at the University of Alberta built to house three departments of Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry. The building officially opened May 24, 1961 and was designed by the Department of Public Works.

Physical Sciences Auditorium

Physical Sciences Auditorium with 400 sloping seats full of students. The auditorium was housed in a seperate wing to the North of the Mathematics-Physics building and was used for large lecture classes, special lectures and public meetings. A projection booth is also located at the back of the room.

Physics Machine Shop

Physics machine shop with wood and metal-working equipment to create materials for research and undergraduate laboratories. The machine shop was located in the basement of the physics-mathematics wing.

Walter Edgar Harris fonds

  • 2012-27
  • Fonds
  • 1915 - 2011

This fonds contains the records of the University of Alberta chemistry professor Dr. Walter Harris. He was instrumental in the modernization of the University’s successful Analytical Chemistry program. Dr Harris was acclaimed for his work in chemistry education, scientific research, and committee service.

The materials date from 1915 to 2011. The records predominately date after Harris began his career at the University of Alberta in 1946. The collection is rich in teaching materials, including a number of lectures written verbatim, an abundance of lecture slides and audio visual recordings of Walter Harris lecturing, as well as a significant amount of Dr. Harris’ research papers and supporting information. The fonds also incorporates materials related to the history of the Chemistry Department at the University of Alberta. In addition, it provides insight into Harris’ book publications with related correspondence, revisions and notes. The fonds is abundant in records relating to Harris’ work as a committee member including meeting minutes, agendas, committee reports, and correspondence.

This fonds contains an array of document types including such textual materials as notes, correspondence, talks, programs, pamphlets, articles, cards, course materials, announcements, books, and personal history information. It also contains yearbooks, plaques, certificates and newspaper clippings, as well as a variety of media types including photographs, slides, negatives, lantern slides, a 16mm film, reel-to-reel audiotapes, a VHS videocassette, a u-matic video tape, and a CD-ROM disk. The fonds geographically pertains predominantly to Canada with some materials created in the United States, and a few materials generated in countries abroad. The materials related to Europe are from international conferences or committee travels taken by Harris.

Harris, Walter Edgar

Staff Office Laboratory

Staff office laboratory in the Physical Science Center, with a Fisher zone refiner in the center of the image. Each staff room was accompanied by a private laboratory.

Machine Shop

Three Machinists operating tools in the machine shop. The shop was complete with wood and metal-working equipment to create materials for research and undergraduate laboratories. Included in the photograph is a lathes, jig saw, sheet metal bender, grinder, two drill presses, and a welding area. The machine shop was located in the basement of the physics-mathematics wing.