Faculty of Science

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Faculty of Science

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1963 -

History

The Faculty of Arts and Science was the first faculty organized at the University, by a resolution of the first meeting of the Senate in March 1908. Dr. W.A.R. Kerr was named Dean in 1914. In 1963 the Faculty was divided: humanities and social sciences were assigned to the new Faculty of Arts; natural sciences to the new Faculty of Science. Courses in the physical sciences provide a core of studies for other faculties, especially Agriculture, Engineering and Medicine. In the subject areas of geography, psychology and linguistics it is possible to obtain a degree in either Arts or Science. The Departments that make up the Faculty of Science are: Botany, Chemistry, Computing Science, Genetics, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics, Psychology, Statistics and Applied Probability, and Zoology. Deans: 1963-1965 Max Wyman; 1965-1977 Donald Murray Ross; 1977-1982 Kenneth B. Newbound; 1982-1991 W. John McDonald.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places