Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Department of Classics was formally established in 1926, but the study of Classics at the University actually began in 1908 with Dr. ToryÃ¾s appointment of William Alexander Hardy as Professor of Classics. Courses in Greek and Roman history, art, archaeology, technology, myth, and religion are offered by the Department. Of particular note is the summer program in practical archaeology held at various sites in Italy. Heads: 1908-1937 William Hardy Alexander; 1937-1964 William George Hardy; 1964-1969 Robert J. Buck. Chairs: 1969-1972 Robert J. Buck; 1972-1975 Margery W. Mackenzie; 1975-1983 Richard Smith; 1983-1988 John R. Wilson; 1988- Duncan Fishwick.