Department of Modern Languages

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Department of Modern Languages

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1908 - 1964

History

The Department of Modern Languages was established in 1908 as one of the original members of the Faculty of Arts and Science. At first, only two courses in French and two in German were offered by the Department's sole member and head, W.A.R. Kerr (who later served simultaneously as Head of the Department and Dean of the Faculty). In the 1960s, rapid growth was accompanied by far-reaching changes in the Department's administration and structure. The Department had split itself unofficially into Romance, Germanic, and Slavic Divisions, each with its own 'Division Head.' The formal creation of three separate Departments occurred in 1964 (PACCR, 1981). Heads: 1908-1909 Luther Herbert Alexander; 1909-1936 William Alexander Robb Kerr; 1936- 1947 Edouard Sonet; 1947-1952 Francis Owen; 1952-1953 Dennis McNeice Healey; 1953-1964 Edward Joseph Hollingsworth Greene.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places