Department of Classics

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Department of Classics

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Department of Classics was formally established in 1926, but the study of Classics at the University actually began in 1908 with Dr. Tory's appointment of William Alexander Hardy as Professor of Classics. Courses in Greek and Roman history, art, archaeology, technology, myth, and religion are offered by the Department. Of particular note is the summer program in practical archaeology held at various sites in Italy. Heads: 1908-1937 William Hardy Alexander; 1937-1964 William George Hardy; 1964-1969 Robert J. Buck. Chairs: 1969-1972 Robert J. Buck; 1972-1975 Margery W. Mackenzie; 1975-1983 Richard Smith; 1983-1988 John R. Wilson; 1988- Duncan Fishwick.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places