Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Church Missionary Society
Parallel form(s) of name
- Church Mission Society
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1799 - present day
An evangelical Anglican group dedicated to educating and financing missionaries around the world.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
The Church Missionary Society was one of the two Anglican missionary groups working amongst indigenous peoples in British North America until 1905. The second group was the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, part of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. To train its missionaries for overseas work, the CMS opened The Church Missionary Society Training College in Islington, north London in 1820. The school closed in 1915.
In 1820, the CMS sent the Reverend John West, a chaplain with the Hudson's Bay Company, financial support for the education of indigenous children. Further support allowed Rev. West to found a mission in the Red River Colony in 1822. Reverend David Jones arrived to take over in 1823, with additional assistance arriving in 1825 with the Reverend William Cockran and his wife. Still active today, the CMS was replaced in Canada by the Missionary Society of the Church in Canada in 1905.
The CMS produced numerous periodicals, including The Missionary Register (1813-1855) and The Church Missionary Gleaner (1841-1857).
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
AMICUS No.: 51967