Fonds - Cecil Scott Burgess fonds

UAA-1971-213 UAA-1972-028 UAA-1979-033

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cecil Scott Burgess fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1970 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 m textual material.-- 1.4 m of graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1870 - 11.12.1971)

Biographical history

Cecil Scott Burgess was born in Mumbai, India in 1870, where his father, James Burgess, was Director of the Archeological Survey. The Burgess family returned to Edinburgh, Scotland the following year. Between the years 1887 and 1891 Burgess studied at the Royal High School in Edinburgh. He graduated with a gold medal. Burgess then studied architecture as an articled pupil to Sir George Washington Browne. He completed a four-year apprenticeship, a contemporary British standard, from 1892 to 1896. After completing his apprenticeship Burgess was admitted as an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). It was a typical career path for British architects to travel through offices and projects gaining a resume of design experience and Burgess was no exception; following his apprenticeship Burgess did architectural work in Edinburgh, York, London, and Liverpool. He also continued to refine his skills with European travel studying and sketching the notable buildings, designs and works of art across the continent. It was during one of his study trips in 1903 he encountered the Edinburgh architect Percy Nobbs in Italy. Nobbs was about to accept a position to teach at McGill University in the Faculty of Engineering. Upon viewing Burgess's sketchwork he encouraged him to move to Montréal where he would find opportunities as a draughtsman. Burgess recognized the opportunity and before the end of the year, he was working in his profession designing several Québec projects including the Boys Farm and Training Schoold at Shawbridge, Quebec and several Montréal homes. In Montréal Burgess began his lifelong public advocacy of the Arts and Crafts design movement through public lectures and study groups. He delivered talks at the Province of Quebec Association of Architects and spoke at such public forums as the St. James Literary Society and the Grand Trunk Literary Institute. Without a Phd, Burgess nevertheless delivered lectures and taught courses at McGill between 1909 and 1911. The courses Burgess instructed betray the Arts and Crafts school of architecture he subscribed to. The were weighted to art and history and included historical drawing, architectural history and decoration. Recognizing it unlikely he would become permanent faculty, Burgess's acquaintance with Percy Nobbs again resulted in employment. Nobbs recommended Burgess to H.M. Tory, the first president of the newly conceived University of Alberta. Through his architectural firm, Nobbs and Hyde, Nobbs worked as the principal consulting architectural firm for the University and Nobbs requiered a supervising representative on the campus to see through to completion the firm's designs. President Tory appointed Burgess Professor of Architecture in 1913. He was made responsible to superintend the design of university buildings and design courses for the university's Department of Architecture. Upon his arrival Burgess designed Pembina Hall and the original six staff residences now known as the Ring Houses. He was the supervising architect for the Arts building (1915), designed the south wing of the University Hospital, University Farm buildings and cottages and the Varsity Rink, the University ice arena (1927). As University Architect Burgess also designed versions of the University crest, furniture, and various items of ceremonial regalia for official University occaisions. In addition to campus designs, Burgess was the associate architect for the Edmonton Natural Resources Building (now the Bowker Building) for the Provincial Government, the Birks Building and numerous private houses, memorials, and small design items across Alberta.

Custodial history

The C.S. Burgess papers remained in Burgess's offices at his home and at the University of Alberta until they were donated to the Archives.

Scope and content

The C.S. Burgess fonds documents Burgess's administrative and professional activities from 1891 through 1971; he removed most remaining personal records before donating material to the Unviersity Archives. The records reflect Burgess's progess as a designer and the evolution of his design interests from his architectural articling and design studies in Scotland, England and his European study tours, to his professional consultation work and teaching in Canada beginning in Montréal and concluding with his tenure as a professor of architecture at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. A small portion of the records document Burgess's work as a private consultant for public and private groups across Alberta. The records include lecture and public speaking notes on art, history and design; professional correspondence; design portfolios in various media from both his student and professional periods; photographs predominantly of his professional work with some of private acquaintances; a collection of postcards, maps and other art and design related ephemera.

The C.S. Burgess fonds documents Burgess's administrative and professional activities from 1891 through 1971; he removed most remaining personal records before donating material to the Unviersity Archives. The records reflect Burgess's progess as a designer and the evolution of his design interests from his architectural articling and design studies in Scotland, England and his European study tours, to his professional consultation work and teaching in Canada beginning in Montréal and concluding with his tenure as a professor of architecture at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. A small portion of the records document Burgess's work as a private consultant for public and private groups across Alberta. The records include lecture and public speaking notes on art, history and design; professional correspondence; design portfolios in various media from both his student and professional periods; photographs predominantly of his professional work with some of private acquaintances; a collection of postcards, maps and other art and design related ephemera.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The fonds contains
9 series:

  1. Biographical
  2. Correspondence
  3. Notes and Notebooks
  4. Lectures and Public Addresses
  5. Reports and Publications
  6. Drawings, Sketchbooks, Tracings and Paintings
  7. Photographs, Glass Slides, and Photonegatives
  8. Postcards
  9. Memorabilia

Language of material

  • english

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

All the Cecil Scott Burgess material is open to researchers. Restrictions on Use The University of Alberta Archives holds copyright on all of the material in the C.S. Burgess fonds. Permission to reproduce, transmit, or distribute material from the C.S. Burgess fonds must be obtained from the University of Alberta Archives in writing.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

cecil-scott-burgess-fonds

Institution identifier

AEU

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Finding aid written by Raymond Frogner and Rhona Bilsland . Finding aid encoded by Scott MacDormand and Raymond Frogner in July, 2004 and October 2004. Updated by M.Fraser 1 April 2020.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres