Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Department of Fine Arts, established in 1945, included music, drama and visual arts under the leadership of Henry George Glyde. The Bachelor of Music degree was instituted in 1958, and the Master of Music degree in 1968. Fine Arts split into its present three departments in 1965. Over the years, the Department's staff and students have enriched the cultural climate in Edmonton and its environs through bands, choirs, orchestras, opera productions, radio and television concerts and lectures, and production of new music, to name some examples. The Department cooperates with the Western Board of Music to provide a comprehensive study syllabus and examination program used widely by music teachers throughout Alberta and Western Canada (PACCR, 1983). Heads: 1947-1965 Richard S. Eaton. Chairs: 1965-1968 Richard S. Eaton; 1969-1986 Robert Stangeland; 1986- Alfred Fisher; - Wesley Berg.