Fonds UAA-2019-049 - Archives Saint-Jean Audio Visual Holdings

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Archives Saint-Jean Audio Visual Holdings

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UAA-2019-049

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1908 -)

Administrative history

The Saint-Jean school was founded in Pincher Creek in 1908 by an Oblate priest as a juniorate, a place to instruct junior members preparing for life in the Oblate order. It was founded the same year as the inauguration of the Faculty of Arts and Science of the University of Alberta. In the 1960s and 1970s, the Collège Saint-Jean grew more affiliated with the University of Alberta, and, in 1976, the Oblate priests officially sold it to the University. In 1977, the Collège changed its name to Faculté Saint-Jean and became a full faculty at the University of Alberta. In October 2005, it was renamed Campus Saint-Jean.
The first goal of the Campus is to allow students of French background to pursue their university studies in a French environment and secondly, to allow students of English background to benefit from this environment. The University thus hopes to foster French culture in Alberta and to allow more students to master the two official languages of Canada.

L'école Saint-Jean a été fondéé à Pincher Creek en 1908 par un prêtre Oblat comme un juniorat, une place à instruire les membres juniors qui se préparent pour la vie dans l'ordre des Oblats. Elle a été fondée la même année de l'inauguration des facultés d'arts et de sciences à l'université de l'Alberta. Dans les années 1960s et 1970s, le Collège Saint-Jean est devenu plus prochement affilié avec l'université de l'Alberta, et, en 1976, les prêtres Oblats l'ont vendu a l'université. En 1977, le Collège a changé son nom à la Faculté Saint-Jean et est devenu une veritable faculté de l'université de l'Alberta. En 2005, elle a été renommée le Campus Saint-Jean.
Le premier but du Campus est de permettre aux étudiants d'origines francophones à poursuivre des études universitaires dans un environnement francophone, et deuxièmement, de permettre aux étudiants d'origines anglophones de prendre avantage de cet environnement. L'université espère cultiver la culture francophone en Alberta et permettre à plus d'étudiants de maitriser les deux langues officielles du Canada.

Custodial history

Ce fonds fut acquis par les Archives de l'Université de l'Alberta (UAA) de la part des Archives Saint-Jean, anciennement situé au Campus Saint-Jean de l'Université de l'Alberta. Le but principal des Archives Saint-Jean était de préserver le matériel archivistique qui avait déjà été acquis au fil des ans par l'ancien IRFOC (Institut de recherche francophone de l’ouest canadien) et ensuite par l’ancien IPFOC (Institut pour le patrimoine de la francophonie de l’ouest canadien).

This fonds was acquired by the University of Alberta Archives in 2019 from the Archives Saint-Jean that was previously housed at the University of Alberta’s Campus Saint-Jean. The Archives Saint-Jean’s main goal was to preserve archival materials that had already been acquired by the IRFOC (Institut de recherche francophone de l’ouest canadien) and subsequently by IPFOC (Institut pour le patrimoine de la francophonie de l’ouest canadien).

Scope and content

Fonds contient divers matériaux audiovisuel qui était stocké au Archives du Campus Saint-Jean (University of Alberta).

Fonds consists of an amalgamation of audio visual records previously housed at the University of Alberta's Campus Saint-Jean Archives.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • French

Script of material

Location of originals

RCRF Cold Room

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Index, Inventory

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

RAD

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by M. Fraser on 8 Jan. 2020
Updated by L. Fagnan on 5 Jan. 2021
Updated by L. Fagnan on 31 Aug. 2021

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres