Showing 24820 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
City of Calgary Archives
UAA · Instelling · 1981-

The City of Calgary Archives was founded in 1981 in order to preserve and provide access to municipal government records and information about the City of Calgary, Alberta. The archive’s collection mandate includes records created by the City of Calgary and records related to events, parks, planning, property assessments, and transportation in Calgary. They hold records from City Council and other committees as well as records from past mayors. They also hold records used for building history and land use research. They are located in the Calgary Municipal Building.

CKUA
UAA · Instelling · 1927 -

CKUA Radio was established by the University under the Department of Extension in 1927, to provide educational and non- commercial radio broadcasting to the people of Alberta. In 1945 it was sold to Alberta Government Telephones, and in 1974 it became part of the Alberta Educational Communications Corporation (ACCESS). The University has continued its close association with CKUA.

UAA · Instelling · 1967 - Present

The Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries (COPPUL) was formed in 1967, originally called the Council of Western Canadian University Librarians. It was incorporated as a non-profit society in 2000. The purpose of COPPUL is: “Working together, COPPUL members leverage our collective expertise, resources, and influence, increasing capacity and infrastructure, to enhance learning, teaching, student experiences, and research at our institutions.” (https://coppul.ca/about-us, accessed December 21, 2021.) Membership consists of university libraries from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. In addition to networking and training, COPPUL also negotiates pricing and favourable terms on licensed library resources for member libraries.

In 1966, the premiers of the Western Canadian provinces insisted on the establishment of the Inter-Provincial Committee on University Rationalization (IPCUR) to study and make recommendations to provincial governments on how universities could coordinate resources. The growth and costs of university libraries was identified early on as an opportunity for academic cooperation, and so the Council of Western Canadian University Librarians (COWCUL) was formed. In 1971 libraries from British Columbia left COWCUL and formed their own cooperative group called TRIUL, and COWCUL became known as the Council of Prairie University Libraries (COPUL). However, in 1989 a joint meeting of TRIUL and COPUL reaffirmed the value of cooperation between the two groups, and BC university libraries rejoined COPUL to make the Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries. In 1992 the first Executive Director was hired. Hazel Fry was Executive Director from 1992-2001, Alexander (Sandy) Slade from 2001-2011; Gwen Bird from 2011-2014; Andrew Waller from 2014 to 2016; Kristina McDavid from 2016 - 2019; Vivian Stieda from 2019 - present. The increasing need to sign licenses for electronic resources on behalf of the consortia of libraries led COPPUL to incorporate under the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act in 2000.

Full Membership in COPPUL is open to libraries of Western Canadian universities accredited by Universities Canada, and entitles libraries to full participation in all COPPUL programs, meetings and eligibility for election to the Board. Affiliate membership is open to any non-profit Canadian college or university, and gives them access to COPPUL licenses for electronic resources only. In addition to training and resource licenses, COPPUL also recognizes exemplary contributions to the consortium through the COPPUL Outstanding Contribution Award. Programs include the COPPUL Digital Stewardship Network, Shared Print Archive Network, Canadian University Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement, and COPPUL/OCUL/CAUL-CBUA/BCI Resource Sharing Agreement.

Crossley, Desmond Ivan
UAA · Persoon · 1910 - 1986

Forester, 1910-1986. Des Crossley graduated from the Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto, in 1935, and received his MSc from the University of Minnesota in 1940. He served as a tree planting supervisor in Saskatchewan, 1935-1940; in the Royal Canadian Air Force, 1940-1945; as a Forest Research Officer, 1945- 1955; and as chief forester for North Western Pulp and Power, Ltd., 1955-1975. Mr. Crossley was an active member of the Canadian Institute of Forestry as well as other professional associations. His area of expertise centred on silviculture and forest management.

Cutt, William Towrie
UAA · Persoon · 1898 - 1981

Teacher, Author, 1898-1981. Scottish-born William Towrie Cutt graduated from the University with BEd and MA degrees. Besides working in Alberta as a teacher from 1928 to 1963, he was an author of books for young people. His titles include On the Trail of Long Tom (1970), Seven for the Sea (1972), and Faraway World (1977).

Defelice, James
UAA · Persoon · 1937-

Writer, Actor, Director, Teacher. James (Jim) DeFelice was born in Lynn, Massachusetts on 6 January, 1937. DeFelice studied at Northeastern University, Boston University, Tufts University and the University of Indiana.
DeFelice wrote for both theatre and cinema while located in Alberta. His work has won him many awards and accolades, including the 1977 film Why Shoot the Teacher which won a Canadian Screen Award for best screenplay in 1978.
He also acted in many Alberta based theatres and events including, Shadow Theatre, Phoenix Theatre, the Citadel Theatre, Northern Light Theatre, and the Edmonton Fringe. DeFelice also acted at the Theatre Network and since 2018 he has been a guest member of the improv group Coyote Comedy.
DeFelice directed 62 plays, including 40 at the University of Alberta, where he taught in the Department of Drama for 33 years. DeFelice retired from the University of Alberta in 2002. He also took part in 21 productions at the Edmonton International Fringe Festival.
In 1995, he won Sterling Awards lifetime achievement award. He also became a member of the Edmonton Cultural Hall of Fame with his partner, Gail and two daughters Amy and Gwen.

UAA · Instelling · 1962 -

Formerly the Department of Industrial Arts and Vocational Education, the purpose of this department is to prepare vocational teachers for secondary schools and to train facilitators in education of adults, for responsibilities in school or non-school settings. Heads: 1962-1968 Henry Richard Ziel; 1968-1969 Harold Duane Tichenor (Acting). Chairs: 1969-1970 Henry Richard Ziel; 1970- 1975 James Emmett Gallagher; 1975-1980 Karel Puffer; 1980-1986 Harold Duane Tichenor; 1986-1987 Abram G. Konrad; [1987]- Abram G. Konrad.

Department of Anatomy
UAA · Instelling · 1914 -

The Department of Anatomy originated with the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine, initially teaching all aspects of anatomy to undergraduate medical students, then particitpating in post-graduate medical education, and gradually accepting responsibility for teaching in other faculties, mainly in a service role. In 1986, the Department's name was changed to the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology to reflect changes in the teadching and scientific programs, and to indicate its objective to increase research in the field of cell biology.

Heads: 1914-1938 Daniel Graisberry Revell; 1938-1959 Ralph Faust Shaner; 1959-1962 Herbert Edward Rawlinson; 1962-1963 Walter Raymond 'Ray' Salt (Acting); 1963-1969 Thomas S. Leeson. Chairs: 1969-1983 Thomas S. Leeson; 1984-1987 Kenneth David McFadden; 1987- Richard A. Murphy.

Department of Animal Science
UAA · Instelling · 1942-1994

The Department of Animal Science was formed in May 1942 through the amalgamation of three former departments in the Faculty of Agriculture: Animal Husbandry (founded 1915), Veterinary Science (1918) and Poultry Husbandry (1928). The department offered coursework in animal physiology, genetics, biochemistry, nutrition and related topics necessary to teach students to solve problems in animal production. Besides preparing undergraduates with career-related training, the Department offered graduate work leading to MSc or PhD degrees. In 1994, The department merged with the departments of Food Science and Plant Science to form the Department of Agricultural Food and Nutritional Science.

Heads: 1942-1947 John Percy Sackville; 1947-1950 Robert David Sinclair; 1950-1969 Laird Ward McElroy.

Chairs: 1969-1972 Laird Ward McElroy; 1972-1977 Larry Patrick Milligan; 1977-1982 Roy Torgny Berg; 1982-1987 Robert Toombs Hardin; 1987-[199-?] Michael A. 'Mick' Price.

Department of Athletics
UAA · Instelling · 1986 -

Preceded by the Division (1971-1975) and Department (1975-1986) of Athletic Services, the Athletics Department's programs are recreational, not academic. It administers intercollegiate athletics and campus recreation, as well as providing community service through summer sports camps for youth. Directors: 1945-[1963] Maurice Lewis 'Maury' Van Vliet ...of Physical Education; 1963-1976 Edwin D. Zemrau Athletic Director. Chairs: 1976-1982 Edwin D. Zemrau; 1982-1985 Garry J. Smith; 1985-[1989] Robert D. Steadward; [1989]- Dale H.P. Schulha.

Department of Botany
UAA · Instelling · 1921-1994

The subject of botany was taught through the Department of Biology from 1912 until 1921 when its own department was established. Its facilities included a herbaria, a phytotron, and access to the Devonian Botanic Gardens. One of the Department's extensive research programs was a five-year study of the ecosystem of Devon Island, Northwest Territories, in conjunction with the International Biological Programme's Tundra Biome Project.

In 1994, the Departments of Botany, Entomology, Genetics, Microbiology and Zoology merged to form the Department of Biological Sciences.

Heads: 1912-1939 Francis John Lewis; 1939-1957 Ezra Henry Moss; 1957-1966 Harold Johnston Brodie; 1966-1969 Wilson H. Stewart.

Chairs: 1969-1971 Wilson N. Stewart; 1971-1979 Paul R. Gorham; 1976-1977 Wilson N. Stewart; 1979-1984 David D. Cass; 1984-1992 Keith E. Denford; 1992-1994 Mark R.T. Dale.

UAA · Instelling · 1909-

The University of Alberta Department of Civil and Municipal Engineering was founded in 1909 and the first class graduated in 1913. The first degree in petroleum engineering was awarded in 1950, after the discovery of oil near Leduc. In 1959, the name of the department changed to the Department of Civil Engineering. The department awarded its first PhD in 1963. A BSc in Environmental Engineering was introduced in 1995, and in 1996, when the Faculty of Engineering was reorganized, the department was renamed the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. The department includes the School of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, which offers graduate degrees.

The department’s objectives are to establish excellence in its staff and in undergraduate teaching; to maintain a graduate program that allows for specialization in one field while enhancing research abilities and professional development; and to advance the profession through research and technology transfer (PACCR, 1987).

Professors: 1908-1918 William Muir Edwards; 1919-1920 Robert Starr Leigh Wilson.

Heads: 1920-1946 Robert Starr Leigh Wilson; 1946-1959 Robert Macdonald Hardy; 1959-[1969] Stewart Ronald Sinclair.

Chairs: [1969]-1973 Stewart Ronald Sinclair; 1973- 1976 Geoffrey L. Kulak; 1976-1979 Jack Longworth; 1979-1982 Jacobus P. Verschuren; 1982-1987 David W. Murray; 1987- James G. MacGregor.

UAA · Instelling · 1969-1994

The Department of Comparative Literature in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Alberta was established in 1969 under the directorship of Dr. Milan Dimic. Courses in comparative literature had been offered at the U of A since 1923, however, a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature was not offered until the 1970-71 school year. This BA was designed to give students a basic knowledge of international literary studies, as well as a working knowledge of at least one other language than their native English or French. Graduate programs in Comparative Literature were also available, and before the formation of the Department of Comparative Literature, a Masters or PhD in Comparative Literature was administered by an interdepartmental committee.

In the 1990s, the department underwent a number of mergers, changing to become the Department of Comparative Literature and Film Studies, and then absorbing another department to become the Department of Comparative Literature, Film and Media Studies, and Religious Studies. These three subjects were grouped together because they all shared interests in global literature and media.

UAA · Instelling · [19--]-1988

The Offices of Administrative Services and Computing Services merged to form University Computing Systems in 1988.

UAA · Instelling · 1950 -

The Department of Educational Psychology focuses its teaching and research on three areas: counselling and school psychology, special education (e.g. handicapped and gifted students), and basic educational psychology. Although it contributes to teacher training on the undergraduate level, it has increasingly directed its resources towards its graduate program. Among the sevices it has provided are the Education Clinic, Education Research Services, Test Library, and the Developmental Disabilities Centre. Heads: 1950-1966 George Murray Dunlop; 1966-1969 Bernard R. Corman. Chairs: 1969-1972 Bernard R. Corman; 1972-1978 Wilfred H.O. Schmidt; 1974-1975 Juanita Chambers (Acting); 1978-1988 Harvey Zingle; 1988- Eugene William Romaniuk.

Department of Forest Science
UAA · Instelling · 1971-1994

The Department of Forest Science was formed in 1971, leading the Faculty of Agriculture to become the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry. The department offered courses leading to a BSc (Forestry) as well as to graduate degrees in forest science and a specialized MSc degree in Wildland Recreation. The department aimed to train foresters with the ability to apply current knowledge and adapt new information to practice forestry competently; and to foster graduate studies and research; encourage technology transfer through extension programs; and to cooperate with industry, government and other University departments in order to increase teaching and research opportunities (PACCR, 1983). In 1994, the Department of Forest Science merged with the Department of Soil Science to form the Department of Renewable Resources.

Chairs: 1971-1974 John David Schultz; 1974-1975 Peter John Murphy (Acting); 1975-[1984] Peter John Murphy; 1980-1981 James A. Beck (Acting); 1984-1989 James A. Beck; 1989- Bruce P. Dancik.

Department of Geology
UAA · Instelling · 1912 -

One of the early departments at the University, the Geology Department's surveys of the geology and stratigraphy of Alberta contributed to the development of the province's natural resources. In addition to undergraduate and graduate studies in geology, the Department offers an undergraduate program in palaeontology in cooperation with the Department of Zoology. Researchers in the Department have done work in fields such as ore geology, invertebrate and vertebrate palaeontology, stratigraphy and isotope geochemistry. Heads: 1912-1949 John Andrew Allan; 1949-1955 Percival Sidney Warren; 1955-1969 Robert Edward Follinsbee. Chairs: 1969-1970 Robert Edward Follinsbee; 1970-1980 Richard St. J. Lambert; 1980-[1989] Nathaniel W. Rutter; 1989- Brian D.E. Chatterton.

UAA · Instelling · 1958-

Work in mechanical engineering fell under divisions of the Departments of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering before its own department was established. Besides preparing students for a professional career through its undergraduate program, the department offers graduate studies leading to MEng, MSc and PhD degrees, and conducts research and technology transfers in cooperation with government and industry in such areas as mechanics, dynamics and engineering management (PACCR, 1989). The department also offers co-op undergraduate programs and a biomedical co-op option.

Heads: 1958-1969 George Ford.

Chairs: 1969-1971 George Ford; 1971-1975 James S. Kennedy; 1975-1984 Donald Grant Bellow; 1984- M. Gary Faulkner

UAA · Instelling · 1908 - 1964

The Department of Modern Languages was established in 1908 as one of the original members of the Faculty of Arts and Science. At first, only two courses in French and two in German were offered by the Department's sole member and head, W.A.R. Kerr (who later served simultaneously as Head of the Department and Dean of the Faculty). In the 1960s, rapid growth was accompanied by far-reaching changes in the Department's administration and structure. The Department had split itself unofficially into Romance, Germanic, and Slavic Divisions, each with its own 'Division Head.' The formal creation of three separate Departments occurred in 1964 (PACCR, 1981). Heads: 1908-1909 Luther Herbert Alexander; 1909-1936 William Alexander Robb Kerr; 1936- 1947 Edouard Sonet; 1947-1952 Francis Owen; 1952-1953 Dennis McNeice Healey; 1953-1964 Edward Joseph Hollingsworth Greene.

UAA · Instelling · 1968 - 1983

Known as the Department of Educational Services until 1976, this department provided a program for Education students wishing a specialization in physical education for the elementary school child. In 1980, the Department moved its staff and resources to the Department of Elementary Education in the Education Faculty for better service to Education students. It was soon decided, however, that the department in the Education Faculty was duplicating similar coursework in the Physical Education Faculty with a loss of resources and contact from its old association. Thus in 1983, the Department of Movement Education combined with the current Department of Physical Education to form the Department of Physical Education and Sports Studies in the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation. Heads: 1968-[1975] Murray F.R. Smith. Chairs: [1975-1981] Margaret Ellis; [1981] Murray F.R. Smith (Acting); 1981-1984 Clive A.F. Padfield; 1982-1983 Margaret Ellis (Acting).

UAA · Instelling · 1954 -

Physical Therapy was a division of the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy (later Rehabilitation Medicine) before becoming a department in 1976 under the School's new Faculty status. In 1969/70 its diploma program was replaced by a degree program; its first master's program began in 1979. Among the department's activities are undergraduate, graduate and continuing education teaching, research, and public service.

Heads: 1954-1962 John Richard Fowler; [1962]-1967 Ruth O.F. Bradshaw; 1967-1975 Alexander Gordon Faulds; 1975-1976 Barrie Pickles.

Chairs: 1976-1979 Barrie Pickles; 1979-1980 Moyna Jeanette Parker; 1980- David J. Magee.

UAA · Instelling · 1961-

With roots in coursework offered in the University's former Department of Political Economy, the subject of rural economy was established in its own department under successive name changes: Agricultural Economics and Farm Management (1961), Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (1969), Rural Economy (1975) and finally Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology (2011). The object of the Department of Rural Economy was described as follows: to study and teach about the relationship between the agriculture and forestry industries and the general economy and the effect of this relationship on the environment and rural people; that is, the economics of farming (PACCR, 1981). As of 2022, the Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology offers degrees in Environmental and Resource Economics, Economics of Agriculture Food & Agribusiness, Environmental and Resource Sociology, and International Development.

Professors: [1960-1961?] A. Gordon Ball. Heads: 1962-1969 Travis W. Manning.

Chairs: 1969- 1974 Travis W. Manning; 1974-1978 Thomas Alfred Petersen; 1978-1987 Milburn L. Lerohl; 1987 William E. Phillips.

Development Office
UAA · Instelling · 1969-

The Development Office is established to develop, implement and administer comprehensive fundraising programs and to encourage and increase the level of private sector and in-house support for the University. It represents the University in all fundraising endeavors, arranges for and negotiates the terms of charitable donations, accepts and acknowledges all donations on behalf of the University and, in conjunction with the Comptroller's Office, handles the receiving and processing of all charitable gifts and pledges. In 1967 the Public Relations Office assumed responsibility for fundraising. This responsibility was transferred in 1969 to the Fund Development Office which was established in order to follow up pledges received during the Three Alberta Universities Capital Fund (3AU Fund) campaign and to service Alumni Association records. Following extensive reviews of the University's public relations, publications and fund development functions a new Office of Community Relations was established amalgamating all three in 1978. Three years later the Fund Development Office was re- established as a separate entity, although responsibility for alumni records remained with Community Relations. The unit's name was changed to the Development Office in 1986.

Director of Public Relations: 1967-1968 Edward Vincent Hamula.

Fund Development Officer: 1969-[1978] Lorne W. McPherson.

Directors: 1978-[1981?] William A. Preshing; 1982 Donald J. Duff; 1983-[1984] Allan Holender; 1985 Margaret Clarke (Acting); 1986-[1988] Hal Spelliscy; 1988- Pat Warmington (Acting).

Devonian Botanic Garden
UAA · Instelling · 1959 -

Following unsuccessful attempts to organize a combined City-University botanic garden, the University of Alberta Botanic Garden and Field Laboratory was established in 1959, when Mr. and Mrs. H.A. Dyde donated 80 acres of land near Devon, Alberta for the purpose. The Garden maintained close ties for many years with the Department of Botany, the chair of the department serving as part-time director. An advisory committee supervised the Garden until 1976, when it became an independent unit within Interdisciplinary Studies under its new name, the University of Alberta Devonian Botanic Garden. The name acknowledged major and ongoing financial assistance from the Devonian Foundation. At that time a full-time director was appointed and the advisory committee was reorganized to become the President's Standing Advisory Committee, headed by the chair of the Department of Botany, who also serves as Associate Director of the Garden. In 1981, administrative responsibility for the Garden was transferred to the Office of the Vice-President (Research) and in 1986 the Garden assumed control of the University of Alberta Microfungus Collection. A Friends of the Garden organization, which continues to support the program, was formed in 1971. The Devonian Botanic Garden is a tri-faceted garden with research, display, and education functions. It includes a nature conserve, two ecological reserves and the Kurimoto Japanese Garden. Directors: 1959-1970 James Howden Whyte; 1970 Wilson N. Stewart; 1971-1976 Paul R. Gorham; 1976-1991 Patrick D. Seymour.

Dimic, Milan
UAA · Persoon · 1933 - 2007

Milan Velimir Dimic was born in Belgrade, Serbia in 1933. Dimic taught at the University of Belgrade from 1956 to 1963 before moving on to the University of Tubingen where he had been awarded an Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung Research Fellowship in their Department of Romance Languages and Comparative Literature.

Dimic joined the University of Alberta (U of A) in 1966 where he would become the founding chair of the Department of Comparative Literature. He took a position as Assistant Professor in the Department of Germanic Languages at the U of A in 1968. Dimic was also appointed Chair of the Interdepartmental Program for Comparative Literature at the U of A. In 1973 Dimic took the position of Professor of Comparative Literature at the U of A. In the following year of 1974, Dimic became the founding editor of the journal, Canadian Review of Comparative Literature.

In the following years Dimic took on several appointments including in 1983 when he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Academy of the Humanities. In 1988 Dimic was appointed as University Professor at the U of A and maintained this position until 1998 when he became Professor Emeritus. It was also in 1998 when he became Editor Emeritus of the Canadian Review of Comparative Literature. From 2001 to 2004 Dimic became a Visiting Professor in the Department of English at Shih Hsin University, Taipei, Taiwan.

Throughout his career Dimic held several positions in the International Comparative Literature Association including, Vice President (1991-1994) and Special Advisor the President and Executive Council (1997-2001). Dimic published multiple articles on theory, literature and folklore throughout his career.

Dimic was married to Marguerite Garstin who passed away in 2006. Dimic passed away on March 11, 2007 in Belgrade.

UAA · Instelling · 1968 - 1982

This interdisciplinary graduate program, which began in 1968 under the auspices of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research, offered a two-year MA designed to meet the need for people trained in the principles and practices of urban and rural community development in Canada and abroad. The program was under the supervision of the Interdepartmental Committee on Community Development, until 1976 when it became a division under Interdisciplinary Studies. In 1982 it was determined that a need no longer existed for the program, and it was discontinued. Coordinators: [1968]-1975 Glen Allenby Eyford. Directors: 1975- 1981 Glen Allenby Eyford; 1981-1982 Ahmad Sami Abdel Mohsen.

Dramatic Society
UAA · Instelling · 1913 - [ 1945? ]

The Society was formed to provide an opportunity for all students at the University to participate in dramatic productions. Its activities were continued by the Drama Society [1946- ] and by the Jubilaires, who specialized in musical productions.

Eccles, William John
UAA · Persoon · 1917 -

Historian, 1917- . Dr. Eccles joined the University as an assistant professor of history in 1957 and became an associate professor in 1959. From 1963 to 1983 he served as professor of history at the University of Toronto. An expert on the history of New France, he is the author of several books, including Frontenac: The Courtier Governor (1959) and Canada Under Louis XIV (1965), which were written while he was teaching at the University of Alberta.

Elliott, George Alexander
UAA · Persoon · 1901-1988

George Alexander Elliott was born in Napier, Ontario on July 22, 1901. Dr. Elliott was an economist and professor. His teaching career started from the University of Manitoba, where he was a student before and taught from 1924 to 1928. He became an Assistant Professor at the University of Chicago in 1928. He spent one year at the University of Chicago being a colleague with Jacob Viner. Between 1929 to 1946, Dr. Elliott taught at the University of Alberta (U of A), where he earned his professorship and was the Chairman of Department of Economics. Dr. Elliott first made his reputation as a theorist while working at the U of A with his articles on determinants of the terms of trade and protection. He joined the University of Toronto in 1946, where he worked till 1957. His academic research interests included; Canadian trade policy, public affairs, practical policy, international trade, monetary matters, and industrial organization. His interest in trade policy led to a major work on indirect protection in Canada and the United States in 1955 titled “Tariff Procedures and Trade Barriers” and to an appointment to the Tariff Board of Canada from 1957 to 1971.
Dr. Elliott was elected to the Royal Society of Canada in 1947 and became president of the Canadian Political Science Association in 1957. He was the editor of the Canadian Journal of Economics and Political Science from 1948 to 1957. He was a Guggenheim Fellow in 1953 to 1954 and was awarded an LLD by Queen’s in 1965. Elliott passed away in 1988.

English Club
UAA · Instelling · 1912 - [191-?]

The English Club was founded to provide an opportunity for interested persons at the University of Alberta to study and discuss English literature. Its activities were continued in several literary and humanities associations on campus.

Enns, Frederick
UAA · Persoon

The Department's goals are to provide graduate programs and contribute to the teacher education program in the Faculty of Education while conducting research and offering professional services to educators and educational institutions. Included in its mandate is assisting other countries with developing their educational administrative systems (PACCR, 1983). Heads: 1956-1967 Arthur Weir Reeves; 1967-1968 Frederick Enns (Acting); 1968-1969 Gordon L. Mowat. Chairs: 1969-1973 Gordon L. Mowart; 1973-1977 Erwin Miklos; 1977-1982 John E. Seger; 1982- 1990 Chester S. Bumbarger; [1989-1990] Walter Holmes Worth; 1990- Eugene William Ratsoy.

Faculty of Arts and Science
UAA · Instelling · 1908-1963

At its first meeting in March 1908, the Senate decided to organize the new University of Alberta with one faculty, that of Arts and Science. When it opened its doors in September 1908, the University consisted of a President, four professors and forty- five students, in rooms rented from Queen Alexandra School. Three of the professors taught subjects in the Humanities, and the fourth taught in the area of Applied Sciences, which later became the Faculty of Engineering. Dr. W.A.R. Kerr arrived to teach Modern Languages in 1909, and became the first Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science in 1914. The Dean acted for the President during his absences from campus, chaired many major committees, and was actively involved in the development of the University. Before the advent of department chairs, the Dean's Office handled every aspect of financial and academic business for the entire faculty. The Council of the Faculty was the forerunner of the General Faculties Council, which is now the academic governing body of the University. Arts and Science was separated into two faculties in 1963.

Deans: 1914-1936 William Alexander Robb Kerr; 1936-1938 William Hardy Alexander; 1938-1945 George Malcolm Smith; 1945-1952 John Macdonald; 1952-1957 Walter Hugh Johns; 1957-1963 Douglas Elstow Smith .

Faculty of Engineering
UAA · Instelling · 1913-

Engineering has been offered at the University of Alberta since it opened in 1908, but it did not have its own department until 1913, when the Department of Applied Science was created in the Faculty of Arts and Science. The department was renamed the Faculty of Engineering in 1948. The faculty is comprised of the departments of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering. The faculty administers undergraduate and graduate programs leading to BSc, MEng, MSc and PhD degrees in chemical, civil, computer, electrical, mechanical, metallurgical, mineral, and petroleum engineering, and engineering physics. In addition, it administers a cooperative program, which alternates coursework with periods of paid, discipline-related work experience with cooperating companies.

Professors: 1908-1918 William Muir Edwards; 1919-1921 Robert William Boyle.

Deans: 1921-1929 Robert William Boyle; 1929- 1946 Robert Starr Leigh Wilson; 1946-1959 Robert Macdonald Hardy; 1959-1963 George Wheeler Govier; 1963-1971 Robert Macdonald Hardy; 1971-1976 George Ford; 1976-1984 Peter Frederick Gordon Adams; 1984-1985 George Ford; 1985- Frederick Douglas Otto.

Faculty of Medicine
UAA · Instelling · 1913-1996

The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1913, and until 1922 conducted a three-year undergraduate program in the basic sciences, with students completing the final two years at McGill or the University of Toronto. In 1923 a full program of clinical instruction began and the first Doctor of Medicine degrees were awarded in 1925. The primary teaching hospitals of the Faculty are the University of Alberta Hospitals which are located on campus. The University has formal affiliation agreements with six city hospitals which actively participate in the undergraduate and graduate teaching programs. The hospitals are represented on the Council of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty has a representative on the governing Board of each hospital. Some training is conducted at hospitals in Ponoka, Camrose, Canmore and Red Deer. Through an affiliation with the Department of Health of the Government of the Northwest Territories, the Faculty operates the Mackenzie Area Ambulatory Program. The Faculty also operates 'Family Clinics' in affiliated Edmonton hospitals to provide students with the opportunity to participate in community health care. The Faculty has access to the facilities of the University of Alberta Surgical-Medical Research Institute. Graduate students are accommodated in the McEachern Laboratory through departmental affiliations of academic staff members, and opportunities for post- doctoral training are available.

The departments of the Faculty are: Anesthesia, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Applied Sciences in Medicine, Biochemistry, Family Medicine, Health Services Administration and Community Medicine, Immunology, Medical Microbiology, Clinical Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Psychiatry, Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, and Surgery and Clinical Surgery (Calendar, 1991/92).

In 1996, the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry amalgamated to form the Faculty of Medicine and Oral Health Sciences, later the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

Deans: 1919-1945 Allan Coates Rankin; 1939-1944 John James Ower (Acting); 1945-1948 John James Ower; 1948-1959 John William Scott; 1959-1974 Walter C. Mackenzie; 1974-1983 Donald F. 'Tim' Cameron; 1983-1984 Robert Stewart Fraser (Acting); 1984- Douglas R. Wilson.

Faculté Saint-Jean
UAA · Instelling · 1908 -

The Saint-Jean school was founded in Pincher Creek in 1908 by an Oblate priest as a juniorate, a place to instruct junior members preparing for life in the Oblate order. It was founded the same year as the inauguration of the Faculty of Arts and Science of the University of Alberta. In the 1960s and 1970s, the Collège Saint-Jean grew more affiliated with the University of Alberta, and, in 1976, the Oblate priests officially sold it to the University. In 1977, the Collège changed its name to Faculté Saint-Jean and became a full faculty at the University of Alberta. In October 2005, it was renamed Campus Saint-Jean.
The first goal of the Campus is to allow students of French background to pursue their university studies in a French environment and secondly, to allow students of English background to benefit from this environment. The University thus hopes to foster French culture in Alberta and to allow more students to master the two official languages of Canada.

L'école Saint-Jean a été fondéé à Pincher Creek en 1908 par un prêtre Oblat comme un juniorat, une place à instruire les membres juniors qui se préparent pour la vie dans l'ordre des Oblats. Elle a été fondée la même année de l'inauguration des facultés d'arts et de sciences à l'université de l'Alberta. Dans les années 1960s et 1970s, le Collège Saint-Jean est devenu plus prochement affilié avec l'université de l'Alberta, et, en 1976, les prêtres Oblats l'ont vendu a l'université. En 1977, le Collège a changé son nom à la Faculté Saint-Jean et est devenu une veritable faculté de l'université de l'Alberta. En 2005, elle a été renommée le Campus Saint-Jean.
Le premier but du Campus est de permettre aux étudiants d'origines francophones à poursuivre des études universitaires dans un environnement francophone, et deuxièmement, de permettre aux étudiants d'origines anglophones de prendre avantage de cet environnement. L'université espère cultiver la culture francophone en Alberta et permettre à plus d'étudiants de maitriser les deux langues officielles du Canada.

Fishwick, Duncan
UAA · Persoon · 1929-2015

Duncan Fishwick was born in England on May 12,1929. He was the son of Elva and Joseph Fishwick. He relocated to Canada in 1956.

Fishwick graduated from Preston Catholic College in Preston, Lancashire, England. He completed his MA at Oxford University in London, England and his PhD at Leiden University in the Netherlands. Fishwick began teaching at the University of Alberta (U of A) in 1969 in the Department of Classics. Fishwick would go on to serve as Head of the department from 1988 to 1992. He retired from the U of A in 1994 and was appointed Professor Emeritus.

As a Roman Historian, Fishwick published various works including over a hundred articles and a three volume work entitled The Imperial Cult in the Latin West (ICLW). ICLW served as an analysis of the worship of the Roman Emperor as a living god throughout the Empire’s Western provinces and in 2004 made Fishwick a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. Fishwick was also a correspondant étranger of the Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres, Institut de France, and Correspondent of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.

In 1961, while in Venice, Italy, Fishwick met Birgit whom he married in Vasteras, Sweden in 1963. Together they had three children, Birgitta, Peter, and Steven. Fishwick passed away on August 6, 2015 at the age of 86.

Flaherty, Kathleen
UAA · Persoon

Dramaturge, Radio Producer, ca. 1957- Kathleen Flaherty received her M.A. from the University of Calgary in 1982. She moved to Toronto in 1984 and began working as a dramaturge and director, working at Factory Theatre, Theatre Passe Muraille and other smaller alternative theatres. In 1988, she directed the Canadian premiere of John Mighton's Scientific Americans at Theatre Passe Muraille and was winner of a Dora Minor Moore award for that season. She was also a frequent dramaturge at Edmonton's Playwright's Workshop, spent a year at Theatre New Brunswick, and was a script consultant for CBC radio drama. In 1991, she became radio drama producer at CBC Edmonton, producing a number of broadcasts of plays by Edmonton writers. She also directed or dramaturged several Edmonton Fringe Plays and served as occasional dramaturge at Catalyst Theatre and Workshop West. In 1993, she directed the premiere of Carol Shield's <i>Thirteen Hands</i> at Winnipeg's Prairie Theatre Exchange. Ms. Flaherty has also published several articles on dramaturgy in Canadian Theatre Review. In September 1997, she was transferred to CBC Vancouver as drama and features producer.

Footner, Hulbert
UAA · Persoon · 1879 - 1944

William Hulbert Footner was born on 2 April 1879 in Hamilton, Ontario. His parents were Franes Christina Mills and Harold John Footner. Footner grew up and attended grade school in Manhatten, New York, New York. Following grade school Footner was self-educated.
He published his first poem, Roudelay For March in 1902. In the following year he published his first article regarding a canoe trip on the Hudson River.
Though mainly a writer of detective stories, Footner also wrote a book about his travels to northern Alberta (New Rivers of the North, 1912), during which he took many photographs.

Fraser, Roderick D.
UAA · Persoon · 23 July, 1940 -

Dr. Roderick Douglas Fraser was born on the 23rd of July, 1940 in Vegreville, Alberta and was raised in both Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta. Fraser obtained his Bachelor of Arts in History and Economics in 1961 from the University of Alberta (U of A) in Calgary. In 1963 he completed his Master’s in Economics at the U of A and in 1965 his PhD. from the London School of Economics in London, England. His studies at the London School of Economics were funded by a Canada Council fellowship.

Fraser started his career as a professor of Economics at Queen’s University in Ontario and was the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science from 1983 to 1988 and Principal (Resources) from 1988 to 1994.

In 1995 Dr. Fraser was appointed as the eleventh President of the University of Alberta. He was reappointed in 2000 and served until the 30th of June 2005. During this time he was also Vice-Chancellor at the U of A.

Fraser was President during a time of high growth for the U of A with an increase in both student enrollment and newly hired professors. Research funding also increased and many new buildings were added to the campus. During his time as President Dr. Fraser also helped influence the U of A to become host to the National Institute of Nanotechnology.

Fraser believed in international networking which led to 240 international agreements with 46 countries during his time as President. This included agreements with institutions in Europe, China, Japan, and Mexico. He also networked with Elders and other members of the Indigenous community.

Fraser has an honorary degree from Queen’s University and was appointed Officer of the Order of Canada in 2004. In 2005 he was appointed to the Aga Khan University Board of Trustees.

He is married to his wife Judith Fraser (nee. Lewis) whom he met while they were both students at the U of A. They have two children together Margo and Rob. Fraser continues to be a part of the U of A in his role of President Emeritus.

Fraser, Sperry Davis
UAA · Persoon · 1899 -

Dentist, 1899- . S.D. Fraser was registered in the Faculty of Applied Science at the University of Alberta from 1921 to 1922 but changed programs and graduated in 1930 with a DDS. He practiced dentistry in Cadomin, Alberta for some years before rejoining his alma mater in 1939 as professor and head of prosthetic dentistry. Upon his retirement in 1962 he was named Professor Emeritus of Dentistry.

Freeman, Gordon R.
UAA · Persoon

Dr. Gordon R Freeman retired as professor emeritus from the University of Alberta Department of Chemistry. He was born in 1930 in Hoffer, Saskatchewan. He obtained an M.A. from the University of Saskatchewan, a Ph.D. from McGill, and a D.Phil. from Oxford. For ten years, he was Chairman of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry at the University of Alberta, and Director of the Radiation Research Centre there for thirty years. In 1964, he designed the first Centre for Interdisciplinary Science in Alberta (Radiation Research Centre). He was director of the centre (built in 1965) until his retirement in 1995. Throughout his career, Dr. Freeman's areas of research included radiation chemistry and physics, electronics, astrophysics, radiation zoology, botany and genetics, and medicine and food science.

Dr. Freeman spent his career teaching and researching in radiation chemistry, authoring more than 450 publications in chemistry, physics, and other subjects. He was editor and major contributor to the book "Kinetics of Nonhomogenous Processes". Throughout his career professor Freeman became a Fellow of the Chemical Institute of Canada and member of the American Physical Society. He expressed strong interest in art, cartrography and archaeological research with memberships in the Canadian Association of Physicists Epigraphic Society and Canadian Rock Art Research Associates. At a very young age, Dr. Freeman was intrigued with historic artefacts, which later became a strong area of interest and research. In 1980 he discovered a 5000-year-old Sun Temple near Majorville, Alberta. In 1989 he took observation techniques he had developed in Alberta to England, to resolve the controversy that surrounded a possible calendar in Stonehenge. His research on this site culminated in two books: "Canada's Stonehenge" and "Hidden Stonehenge: Ancient Temple in North America Reveals the Key to Ancient Wonders".

UAA · Instelling · 1971-

The Friends of the Devonian Botanic Garden is a registered charitable society founded in 1971 to support the work of the Devonian Botanic Garden. They are governed by a Board of Trustees. The Friends society has raised money through donations, grants and fundraising efforts to support development of the garden collections, displays, facilities, and educational programming. The stated purpose of the society is that: “The Friends will be seeking members, organizing activities, and raising funds for the promotion of a wider educational use and public appreciation of the scientific and cultural values of the garden by the larger Edmonton community and beyond.” (https://friendsofuabg.org/about/, Accessed January 10, 2022)

The University of Alberta Botanic Garden was established in 1959, and was originally known as the Botanic Garden and Field Laboratory for the Department of Botany. Following flooding in the 1970s, the garden was redeveloped and expanded through funds raised by the Friends society. Under Norman MacPherson, President of the Friends Society from 1977-1980, a project to fund and build a Japanese garden was approved by the University of Alberta Board of Governors in 1978. MacPherson also approached the Devonian Group of Charitable Foundations for a grant that was matched by the Alberta Department of Advanced Education. The gardens were renamed the Devonian Botanic Garden to reflect this donation. These funds led to the purchase of additional land, phase one of the Headquarters Building, with one of the two greenhouses opening in 1978, and reconstruction of ponds and canals affected by flooding. Further fundraising and partnerships saw the Kurimoto Japanese Garden open in 1990. In 2013 the Friends of the Devonian Botanic Garden hired a membership coordinator/bookkeeper, launched a website and used social media to expand its membership. In 2017, the garden’s name was changed to University of Alberta Botanic Garden to reaffirm its relationship to the university.

Gishler, Paul
UAA · Persoon

Chemical Engineer, 1904-1992. Paul Ernest Gishler was born July 30, 1904 in Golden Lake, Ontario and moved to Medicine Hat in 1922. Dr. Gishler received his Bachelor of Science in 1929 and his Masters in Physical Chemistry in 1931 from the University of Alberta. Working on oilsands upgrading projects, he later went to McGill University in Montreal where he received his Ph.D. in physical chemistry. He returned to Calgary and taught for two years before joining the Alberta Research Council. Dr. Gishler was appointed a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1952. In 1962 he was awarded the Chemical institute of Canada's R.S. Jane Award. In 1982 he received AOSTRA's Karl Clark Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Gishler passed away in 1992. He was survived by his sons John, of Glenboro, Mb., and Richard of Edmonton and predeceased by his wife Dorothy (Riley) in 1990.

Glyde, Henry George
UAA · Persoon · 1906-1998

Henry George Glyde was born in Luton, England on 18 June 1906. Glyde trained at the Royal College of Art in London, England. He moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada in 1935 where he began to teach drawing a the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art. From 1936-66 Glyde was the head of the painting division of the Banff School of Fine Arts. In 1937 he started teaching classes through the Department of Extension at the University of Alberta and established the Division of Fine Arts.

Gordon, Robert Kay
UAA · Persoon · 1887 - 1973

English scholar, Administrator, 1887-1973. R.K. Gordon joined the University staff in 1913, having graduated from Toronto and Oxford Universities. In 1936 he was appointed head of the Department of English and from 1943-1945 he acted as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science. The Royal Society of Canada elected him a fellow in 1936. Dr. Gordon published widely in his field of English literature, his great love being Chaucer. He retired from the University in 1950.

Gorham, Paul
UAA · Persoon · [1918] - 2006

Paul Raymond Gorham was born in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. He received his M.S. in botany. He obtained a Ph.D. from the California Institute for Technology in Pasadena, California. He started his career in 1943 and worked for the Department of Agriculture in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for two years. Between 1945 and 1969 he was a research scientist with the National Research Council. He was involved in pioneering studies of photosynthesis. In 1969 he moved to Edmonton, Alberta, and was a professor of botany at the University of Alberta (U of A). He served as chair from 1971 until 1979, before retiring professor emeritus in 1983. He helped found the Canadian Society of Plant Physiologist, the Canadian Botanical Association, and the International Association for Plant Physiology.

Gorham was also part of various orgnaizations including as a board member of the Board of Trustees of the Fridends of the Devoniam Botanic Garden (1971-2006) and served on the Board of Governors of the Edmonton Art Gallery (1980-1992). Gorham was known for being behind the creation of the 5-acre Kurimoto Japanese Garden. He was also awarded the Centennial Medal in 1967 and the Silver Jubilee Medal in 1978.

Gorham was married to his wife Evelyn and had three children John, Arthur, and Harriet. Gorham passed away on 9 November, 2006 at the age of 88.

Governor General of Canada
UAA · Instelling

The Right Honourable David Johnston 2010- Current The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean 2005-2010 The Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson 1999-2005 The Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc 1995-1999 The Right Honourable Ramon John Hnatyshyn 1990-1995 The Right Honourable Jeanne Sauvé 1984-1990 The Right Honourable Edward Schreyer1979-1984 The Right Honourable Jules Léger1974-1979 The Right Honourable Roland Michener1967-1974 General The Right Honourable Georges Philias Vanier1959-1967 The Right Honourable Vincent Massey1952-1959 The Viscount Alexander 1946-1952 The Earl of Athlone 1940-1946 Lord Tweedsmuir 1935-1940 The Earl of Bessborough 1931-1935 The Viscount Willingdon 1926-1931 Lord Byng 1921-1926 The Duke of Devonshire 1916-1921 H.R.H The Duke of Connaught 1911-1916 Earl Grey 1904-1911 The Earl of Minto 1898-1904 The Earl of Aberdeen 1893-1898 The Earl of Derby (Lord Stanley) 1888-1893 The Marquess of Lansdowne 1883-1888 The Duke of Argyll (Marquess of Lorne) 1878-1883 The Earl of Dufferin 1872-1878 Lord Lisgar 1869-1872 The Viscount Monck 1867-1868

Green, Leslie C.
UAA · Persoon · 1920-2011

Leslie C. Green was born in London, England in 1920. He earned an LLB degree from the University of London in 1941 and was awarded the Joseph Hume Scholarship in Jurisprudence and the Cecil Peace Prize.

Green served in the British Army in 1941-1946 as a Japanese translator and a Deputy Military Prosecutor. After retiring from the military in 1946 with the rank of Major, Green taught law at several different universities. He was a law lecturer at the University of London (1946-1960), Professor of International Law at the University of Singapore (1960-1965), Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Singapore, Professor of Political Science at the University of Alberta (1965-1991). In 1992, he retired from the University of Alberta and earned the title of professor emeritus.

Green participated in the creation of several international law manuals and protocols. In 1974-1975, he was the Academic in Residence at the Legal Department of the Canadian Department of External Affairs. In 1975-1977, he helped produce the 1977 Protocols as the legal advisor to the Canadian delegation at the Diplomatic Conference on Humanitarian Law in Geneva. In 1979-1980, he worked on the first draft of the Canadian Manual of War Law as the Academic in Residence at the Department of the Judge Advocate General. In 1989-95, he helped produce the San Remo Manual as a member of the Committee of Experts on Naval Warfare.

Other positions held by Green included Visiting Professor at Kyung Hee University in Seoul, Korea, Visiting Professor at the University of Denver College Of Law, and Stockton Professor of International Law at the US Naval War College.

In addition to his LLD degree, Green was awarded an honorary LLB from the University of London in 1974. He was also awarded an LLB by the University of Alberta. Green was a Member of the Order of Canada and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. The Judge Advocate General Award was renamed the Leslie C. Green Award in his honour in 2012.
The Leslie C. Green Veteran’s Scholarship from the Canadian Council on International Law was also named in his honour.