Showing 1918 results

People and Organization
Aamodt, Olaf Sverre
UAA · Person · [b. 189-?]

Olaf Sverre Aamodt was an agronomist who was the head of the Department of Field Crops at the University of Alberta in 1932-1935. He studied agronomy and farm management at the University of Minnesota, completing his master’s thesis, “The Inheritance of Growth Habit and Resistance to Stem Rust in a Cross Between Two Varieties of Common Wheat,” in 1922. He also worked for the U.S. Bureau of Plant Industry, leading the Forage Crops and Diseases Division. He was a member of the Washington Academy of Sciences.

Abu-Laban, Baha
UAA · Person · [193?]-

Baha Abu-Laban earned a BA and MA (1956) from the American University of Beirut before becoming a professor of sociology at the University of Alberta. He was the head of the Department of Sociology in 1971-1972 and is now a professor emeritus. He is a founding member of the University of Alberta’s Prairie Metropolis Centre for Research on Immigration, Integration and Diversity.

Abu-Laban’s scholarly work has focused on race, ethnic studies, and immigration. He is a co-founder of the Journal of International Migration and Integration. On 7 May 2014, Abu-Laban was invested with the Order of Canada for his work building a more inclusive society and supporting the transition of immigrants.

Academic Women's Association
UAA · Corporate body · 1975 -

After three years of informal meetings, the Academic Women's Association was formally begun in 1975 to encourage implementation of the recommendations of the University of Alberta Senate's Task Force on the Status of Women. The purpose of the association is to foster collegiality among academic women, to promote and encourage equal opportunities for women in university affairs, and to provide a forum and a mechanism for affirmative action for women at the university. The original name, Academic Women's Association of Alberta, was designed to provide an incorporated body under which branches from Alberta universities could function.

ACFA
UAA · Corporate body · 1925-

L’association canadienne-française de l’Alberta (ACFA) est une société provinciale ayant des ramifications régionales. Elle fut fondée en 1925-26 à Edmonton dans le but de maintenir les droits et les intérêts des francophones de l’Alberta.

The Association canadienne-française de l’Alberta (ACFA) is a provincial society with regional branches. It was founded in 1925-26 in Edmonton with the goal of maintaining the rights and interests of francophones in Alberta.

Adkins, William Elmer
UAA · Person · 8.4.1915 - 1985

William Elmer Adkins was born in Burnt River, Ontario on August 4, 1915. He attended public and high schools in Medicine Hat, Alberta where he graduated with honours and scholarships in 1933. He graduated with a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Alberta in 1937. He completed post-graduate studies with Dr. E.H. Boomer from 1937-38. In 1938 he became the superintendent of the International Bitumen Company Ltd, a pioneer oil sands venture from R.C. Fitzsimmon. He was made responsible for the design and construction of the Bitumount oil sands extraction plant, 80 km north of Ft. McMurray. He oversaw the shipment of the first commercial tar sand from the plant in 1938: roofing asphalt sent to Gary, Indiana. From 1938 to 1941 Adkins worked with Born Engineering Co. of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He supervised or participated in the construction of Dubbs Thermal Cracking Units and other types of oil refinery units at Anglo-Canadian Oils in Brandon, Manitoba; Gas and Oil Products in Turner Valley, Alberta; Consumer Co-operative Refineries in Regina, Saskatchewan; and North Star Oil in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In this period he was appointed to direct Canadian operations for Born Engineering. In July 1941 Adkins joined Defence Industries Ltd., first as a maintenance engineer in Transcona, Manitoba and then as Resident Engineer in Nitro, Quebec. In 1945 he joined Oil Sands Ltd. of Edmonton, Alberta and the following year he was appointed superintendent of the Alberta Government Oil Sands Project, to build and operate a demonstration plant at Bitumount. This was the original International Bitumen Company Ltd. plant. The plant was closed in 1942 and Lloyd Champion purchased the site anc created Oil Sands Ltd.with the intention of supporting the government's plan to develop the Alaska Highway. Champion intended to sell tar sand to the project for use as a road surfacing agent and convince the provincial government to place a $500,000 investment in the project. By 1948 the government had taken over the project and it became known as the Alberta Government Oil Sands Demonstration Plant. Elmer remained plant superintendent for the project's 6-year life until it closed in 1951. During his tenure he initiated several effective labour initiatives that continue today. He brought in a 10 per cent isolation bonus, a policy widely adopted in other northern projects. He also brought the first snow mobiles to the area to help relieve a bit of the isolation. By 1949, the Demonstation Plant at Bitumont was processing dailly 450 tonnes of oil sand. To promote this success the entire provincial legislature was brought to the plant and Adkins oversaw the demonstration. In April 1950 Adkins started a consulting practice in association with Born Engineering. He continued a consultant to the Alberta Government Oil Sands Project. During this period he also completely remodeled and enlarged the Consumers Co-operative Refinery in Regina, Saskatchewan. In June 1951 Adkins joined Domtar Inc. as a project engineer on their ethelyne glycol plant in Montreal, Quebec. He was appointed Chief Engineer, Domtar Inc in 1953. He eventually became Domtar's Vice-President, Development, Research and Engineering before leaving the company for earlly retirement in 1967. In July of 1967 he became President of Champion Savings Corporation, and Champion Mutual Fund, he was previously a director in both companies. He He succeeded Lucien Maynard, Q.C. as President of Oil Sands Ltd. in 1967. He subsequently resumed a private consulting practice boasting such clients as Great Canadian Oil Sands Ltd., Czarnicow Ltd., Sugar Refiners and Brokers, and the Foundation Company of Canada. Betwwn 1969 and 1974 he worked on the liquidation and distribution of assets of Oil Sands Ltd. to shareholders and debenture holders of Oil Sands Ltd. and International Bitumen. Adkins spent his retirement in Victoria with his wife Evelyn. He passed away in 1985.

Ahrens, Arthur Christian
UAA · Person · 1904 - 1985

Dentist, 1904-1985. Dr. Ahrens was a graduate in dentistry from the University of Alberta (DDS, 1927) and Northwestern University (1940). He served in the Canadian Dental Corps and was an active member of the Canadian Dental Association and the Alberta Dental Association. He was active in visits to rural Alberta schools, teaching dental hygiene to children and their parents.

UAA · Corporate body · 1966 -

AACES began as the Alberta Advisory Committee on Educational Research in 1954 but became the Alberta Advisory Committee for Educational Studies in 1966. Its original membership consisted of the University's Faculty of Education, the Alberta Department of Education, the Alberta Teacher's Association, the Alberta School Trustees Association (ASTA) and the Alberta Federation of Home and School Associations (HSA). ASTA and HSA dropped out of the Advisory Committee during the 1980s, while the Universities of Calgary (1966) and Lethbridge (1987) have since joined. The aim of AACES is to finance research in educational studies. To assist in the dissemination of research results it publishes the Alberta Journal of Educational Research and the Journal of Educational Thought.

UAA · Corporate body · 1942 - 1958

The Alberta Agricultural Alumni Association consisted of graduates of the Faculty of Agriculture at the University of Alberta. It organized social events and published a newsletter, the 4A News.

UAA · Corporate body · 1905-1975

The Alberta Department of Public Works was established on September 1, 1905 in part of the Alberta Act. It was officially created by Alberta legislation in 1906 when the Public Works Act repealed the Public Works Ordinance. The duties, functions and structure of the Department of Public Works stayed unchanged, as allowed by the new legislation.

The Department of Public Works was responsible for the management of a long list of utilities and maintenance including heating, lighting, construction, repairs of government buildings, among many others. Legislation defined public works as property of the Crown and controlled by the department; this included all land, watercourses, streams and any acquired property for public works.

The Department was set up in a hierarchical structure. When it began it contained five branches including Correspondence, Accountants, Surveys, Engineering and Local Improvement. Over time the department included branches and sections related to operations, regulations, creation, and the maintenance of highways, mining, and employment. Legislation reorganized the Department in 1951 into two branches, Buildings and Mechanical. The Department again restructured in 1960 into six divisions, Architecture, Works and Maintenance, Construction, Maintenance, Mechanical, and Administrative Accounting. In 1966 the administrative division moved to outside the three main divisions, Utilities Services, Design and Construction, and Maintenance Services. Before the dissolution of the department in 1975 there were 5 major divisions.

The Department of Public Works was divided in a government wide reorganization into the Department of Housing and Public Works and Department of Government Services. The Alberta Government Services was responsible for the elements of former Public Works Department concerned with operations and maintenance.

On June 25,1975 the Department of Public Works dissolved when the Department of Public Works Acts was repealed by the Department of Government Services Act. The Department of Government Services merged with the functions of public works from the Department of Housing and Public Works in 1982 to create the Department of Public Works, Supply, and Services.

UAA · Corporate body · 1984 -

The Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) facilitates the training and certification of fitness leaders and trainers in Alberta. Established in 1984, the association was founded by representatives of fitness agencies who were concerned with the consistency of fitness leadership in Alberta. The delivery of fitness leadership programs is through these agencies, under the guidelines of the AFLCA and its Board of Directors. The AFLCA is an agency-based, not-for-profit association whose operations benefit the represented agencies that deliver the AFLCA training programs. These agencies, in turn, represent their fitness leaders. The AFLCA adopted the guidelines put forth in 1984 by the National Fitness Leadership Advisory Committee (NFLAC). Performance standards were subsequently developed to recommend minimum competencies desired in the trained fitness leader. In 1989, the results of the comprehensive survey of leaders, trainers and agencies led the AFLCA towards the development of a new program model, which included more specialized areas of fitness training and more variety in courses for leaders to explore and agencies to administer. The mandate of AFLCA is to establish and implement specific standards and guidelines that organizations can follow for the training of their fitness leaders, to certify those leaders who have been trained and through that training have met the standards and guidelines established by the Association and to coordinate the standards and guidelines established by the National Fitness Leadership Advisory Committee (NFLAC) and to adjust these standards and guidelines to be most suitable for the fitness leaders of Alberta.

Alberta Geographical Society
UAA · Corporate body · 1964-[1975?]

The Alberta Geographical Society was founded in 1964, with William C. Wonders from the University of Alberta Department of Geography as organizing chairman and Janusz J. Klawe as chairman of the program committee.

UAA · Corporate body

The Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research (AHFMR) was established by the Government of Alberta in 1980 to support biomedical and health research at Alberta universities, affiliated institutions, and other medical and technology-related institutions. Operating funds come from a portion of the interest revenue from a Government endowment, with an initial investment of $300 million. AHFMR supports more than 200 senior researchers recruited from Alberta and around the world, and approximately 350 researchers-in-training. Since 1980, AHFMR has supported more than 8500 positions, providing unprecedented opportunities for research careers. AHFMR is governed by a Board of Trustees with representatives from the universities, the medical profession and the general public. AHFMR is headed by a President who is the CEO. The Board of Trustees are advised by an international Scientific Advisory Council and other groups, including committees of researchers who assess applications for awards. AHFMR reports to the people of Alberta through the Minister of Innovation and Science but is arms-length from government. Every six years an International Board of Review assesses AHFMR Programs and submits a report to AHFMR and the Government of Alberta.

UAA · Corporate body · 1947 -

The AIA began in 1920 as the Northern and Southern Locals of the Canadian Society of Technical Agriculturalists. The national organization became the Agricultural Institute of Canada in 1945, and in 1947 the Alberta Government passed the Agrologists Act, which conferred professional status on agrologists under the regulation of the new Alberta Institute of Agrologists. The AIA's mandate is to maintain professional standards for agrology and to communicate to the government and to the public its concerns regarding its profession, agricultural education and research, and the role of agriculture and agrology in the community.

UAA · Corporate body · 1968 -

The Institute of Pedology, with headquarters at the University, was organized in 1968. The Institute consists of all pedologists in the Soil Science Department of the University, the Terrain Sciences Department of the Alberta Research Council and the Alberta Pedology Unit of the Land Resources Research Centre, Agriculture Canada. The Institute is involved in coordinating work in the following fields: soil survey in Alberta, research in pedology, interpretation of basic data on Alberta soils and assistance and/or cooperation from other institutions concerned with pedological data (Calendar, 1990/91). The Institute is directed by the Technical Coordinating Committee. The Chair of the Soil Science Department of the University is ex officio Chair of the Technical Coordinating Committee.

Alberta Law Reform Institute
UAA · Corporate body · 1967-

Known as the Institute of Law Research and Reform until 1990, the Alberta Law Reform Institute was established by an agreement between the provincial government, the Law Society of Alberta and the University of Alberta. Its principal objective is to promote law reform, particularly on the provincial level, and to conduct research in conjunction with its reform activities. Many of the Institute's reports have been or are in the process of being enacted for legislation. Staff periodically publish papers prompted directly or indirectly by law reform projects. Directors: 1968-1975 Wilbur Fee Bowker; 1975-1986 William H. Hurlburt; 1986-1988 R. Grant Hammond; 1988- Peter J.M. Lown.

Alberta Medical Association
UAA · Corporate body · 1906 -

The Alberta Medical Association (AMA) is a voluntary organization for Alberta physicians that offers personal benefits to its members as well as communicating their professional interests and health care concerns to the government and the public. In 1986 it was authorized by the provincial government as the official bargaining agent for Alberta doctors.

UAA · Corporate body · 1974-

The Alberta Oil Sands Technology and Research Authority (AOSTRA) was initiated by Peter Lougheed’s government as a crown corporation in Alberta in 1974. Its purpose was to promote the use and development of technologies for oil sands and heavy crude oil. Funded by the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund, AOSTRA had head offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
AOSTRA was originally formed in 1974 to promote new technologies for the oil sands. The mandate expanded in 1979 to include crude oil technologies as well. In 1986, the Alberta Department of Energy took over AOSTRA’s role. In 1994, AOSTRA merged with the Provincial Ministry of Energy;s Oil Sands and Research Division. In 2000, AOSTRA became Alberta Innovates--Energy and Environment Solutions in order to better represent an expanded role that included wind, solar, fuel cells, clean coal, and biomass energies. In 2001, the Alberta Energy Research Institute (AERI) took over the responsibilities of the AOSTRA.
AOSTRA was led by a government-appointed board of up to nine members, all with experience in petroleum development and technology. This board was responsible for selecting projects that met the mandate of the organization. Costs of projects were shared with the energy industry and technologies resulting from projects were available to users at fair market value.
Additionally, AOSTRA supported research at universities and research institutions through grants for inventors, operation of a technical information system, and international cooperation in oil sands development.

UAA · Corporate body

The Alberta Poetry Festival Society seeks to ensure: that individuals from across the city engage in poetry both as creators and audiences; that quality and diversity of the work performed and created by Edmonton artists expands; that poetry becomes part of Edmonton’s culture; and that the Alberta Poetry Festival is an event where international and national poets appear beside local poets so that Edmonton audiences, and those who do not engage with poetry on a regular basis, can experience poetry. The society’s mission is to host an eight-day festival during April (National Poetry Month) and assist with the Poetry Moves school program, and the Poetry Moves in Transition project, among others outreach projects consistent with the vision.
The Alberta Poetry Festival Society hosted the first Alberta Festival in 2006 with the assistance of Edmonton’s Alice Major (then Poet-Laureate). In 2010, the Society began hiring employees to ensure the sustainability of the Festival.

UAA · Corporate body · 1943 - 1945

The post-war reconstruction committee was established in 1943 by an act of the government of Alberta (Statutes of Alberta, Chapter 8). Its purpose was to study how the province could make the transition from wartime to a peacetime economy and re-absorb the population absent from the economy during World War II. The general committee was chaired by Nathan Eldon Tanner and (after September 1944) Alfred John Hooke, Members of the Legislative Assembly. Robert Newton President of the University of Alberta, was a Committee member and chair of the on Educational and Vocational Training. The Committee and its subcommittees issued their final reports in March 1945, and subsequently the Post-War Reconstruction Act was repealed and the Committee dissolved.

UAA · Corporate body · 1906 - 1945

These schools trained elementary and secondary teachers for service in the Alberta school system. They included the Calgary Normal School (1906-1945), Camrose Normal School (1912-1938), and Edmonton Normal School (1920-1923, 1928-1933, 1935-1945). In 1945 the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta absorbed the normal school system of teacher training into the University's educational system.

UAA · Corporate body

In 1948, the Government of Alberta's Department of Economic Affairs created a Film and Photography branch, the purpose of which was to maintain a photographic record of Alberta's economic, cultural and social development. In 1959, the Branch was transferred to the Provincial Secretary and, after several more transfers, was taken under the Bureau of Public Affairs.

Alberta Research Council
UAA · Corporate body · 1921-

In October, 1919 a committee was convened by the Provincial Secretary to advise on matters relating to industrial research. A preliminary survey of resources was conducted, with encouraging results, and in 1921 the Scientific and Industrial Research Council of Alberta was formally established by Order-in-Council. Research was to be conducted in cooperation with the University for laboratory and other facilities. The President of the University was a member of the Council; the Provincial Secretary and the Premiers of the Province have acted as Chair. In 1930, under new legislation, the Council was reorganized to be an advisory body to the Cabinet. A Cabinet Minister was Chair of the Council; the President of the University was Chair of the Technical Advisory Committee and Director of Research. At this time the Council's name was shortened to the 'Research Council of Alberta'; it is now known as the Alberta Research Council. With the onset of the Great Depression the work of the Council halted. The University took over its funding, work, and staff in 1933; the Council itself did not meet from 1934 to 1942. In 1943, the Research Council Act was amended to include ten members, of which two were from the cabinet (one to act as chair); the President of the University; the Director of Research, and members at large. Until 1950 the President of the University was Director of Research. Dr. N.H. Grace was appointed the Councilþs first full-time Director in October, 1951. The Council was the first provincially funded, scientific research agency in Canada. It undertakes, promotes, and funds research which might not otherwise be undertaken. Chairs: 1919-1923 J. L. Cote; 1923-1925 Herbert Greenfield; 1925- 1926 Alex Ross; 1926-[1930] J.E. Brownlee; 1930-[1950] Cabinet Ministers assigned to Chair; [1946-1947] Nathan Eldon Tanner; 1950-1951 Robert Newton; 1951-1961 Nathaniel H. Grace; 1961 William Albert Lang (Acting); 1962-1977 Ernest J. Wiggins; 1977- 1978 Brian Hitchin (Acting); 1978-1983 Giles Cloutier; 1984- 1987 Robert W. Stewart; 1987- Clem W. Bowman;

Alberta School of Business
UAA · Corporate body · 1916-

The Alberta School of Business at the University of Alberta is a leading institution in business education and research. It started in 1916 as the Department of Accountancy at the University of Alberta. In 1924 the first Bachelor of Commerce degrees were granted, and the School of Commerce was formally established in 1928. After making significant changes to its curriculum, the School became a full-fledged Faculty of the University of Alberta in 1960. It was the first business school in Canada to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), achieving accreditation in 1968. In 1984 it was renamed the Faculty of Business, and moved into a new building on campus.

The name was formally changed to Alberta School of Business in 2010, following the completion of a two and a half year “Preservation of the Name” campaign. The campaign raised more than $21 million for the name to be the Alberta School of Business, rather than raising money through selling the naming rights to a donor. The goal was to preserve the school’s connection to the community, and make a degree from the school more recognizable in a global marketplace.

There are four departments in the Alberta School of Business (as of 2022): Accounting and Business Analytics; Finance; Marketing, Business Economics and Law; and Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Management. The School offers a Bachelor of Commerce undergraduate degree, as well as master’s programs and PhD business degrees. They also have partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University to offer a Master of Business Administration (MBA) and a Master of Financial Management (MFM) in China. Executive and professional programs are offered for the public sector, not-for-profit, and corporations.

There are also several centres and institutes at the Alberta School of Business (as of 2022): Alberta Business Family Institute, Canadian Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility, Centre for Applied Business Research in Energy and the Environment, Centre for Cities and Communities, Centre for Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise, Centre for Excellence in Operations, and eHub Entrepreneurship Centre.

UAA · Corporate body · 1917-present

The Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) is the professional organization of teachers in Alberta. Its mission is to promote and advance public education, advocate for its members, and protect standards of professional practice. Their objectives are governed by the Teaching Profession Act, which was passed by the Alberta legislature in 1935. The association is divided into various geographic “locals”, which includes teachers employed by a school district or school divisions. Locals are grouped into larger geographic districts. Delegates from each local attend the Annual Representative Assembly in May, when the annual budget is approved, by-laws are revised, policy made, and programs for the next year are determined. Between annual meetings, business of the ATA is conducted by the Provincial Executive Committee, consisting of 20 elected persons. The ATA also has offices and staff in Edmonton and Calgary to conduct the day-to-day operations. Staff work in four program areas: Government and Administration, Member Services, Professional Development and Teacher Welfare.

The Alberta Teachers’ Alliance was established in 1917, at a meeting of the Alberta Educational Association. Its first annual meeting was held in spring 1918. The Alberta Educational Association was made up of concerned citizens wishing to promote education in the new province of Alberta, however, it was not equipped to address teachers’ working conditions, salaries, or professional concerns. Teachers were being drawn away from the profession to either enlist in the army due to the First World War, or to other professions that offered better salary and living conditions. Therefore, unqualified individuals were being authorized to teach due to the shortage. Short-term contracts were common, and teachers had no appeal against dismissal. At the inaugural 1918 annual meeting, resolutions were passed to advocate for improved working conditions, including a provincial salary scale, a better form of teaching contract, full citizenship rights for teachers, and a pension scheme. In addition, professional interests included drafting a code of ethics, publishing an ATA Magazine, and supporting a federation of all teachers’ organizations in Canada. The first president of the ATA was G. D. Misener, followed by T. E. A. Stanley in 1919 and H. C. Newland in 1920.

The first full-time paid general secretary-treasurer was hired in 1920. John Walker Barnett remained in this position until his retirement in 1946. Through his tireless efforts to raise the status of the teaching profession in Alberta, the “Alliance” became an “Association”, and was legally constituted under the 1935 Teaching Profession Act. The Act was amended shortly thereafter by William Aberhart’s Social Credit Party government to make it mandatory for all teachers at public and separate school boards to be members of the ATA as a condition of employment. Throughout the following decade significant legislation was enacted to strengthen Alberta’s teaching profession, including the School Act in 1936 that ensured teachers facing termination receive a hearing, the Teachers’ Superannuation Act in 1939, which was the first step towards a pension plan. In 1944 all teacher education was assigned to a university, which led to the eventual requirement for a bachelor’s degree as a minimum teaching qualification.The resulting demand for more schools and teachers as the post-war baby boomers started school led to an increasing modernization of education, as one-room school houses and correspondence centres closed and new schools were established. Throughout the 1950s, the ATA continued to improve salaries and retirement benefits, at times leading to labour disputes and legal disputes.

Over the years, attempts have been made by the Alberta government and Alberta School Trustees Association to weaken the bargaining power of the ATA through splitting the Association into separate professional and bargaining organizations. This happened during the late 1970s/early 1980s, the mid-1990s, and 2013. Under the Ralph Klein government, salary cuts to teachers throughout the 1990s took their toll, and led to striking in February 2002 by over 22,000 teachers - the largest labour action in ATA history.

UAA · Corporate body · 1941 - 1944

The University Survey Committee was created in August 1941 by an Order-in-Council of the Government of Alberta to conduct a comprehensive review of the University's affairs. In particular, the Committee examined the University's success in meeting the cultural, economic, and educational needs of Albertans. Chaired by Harold H. Parlee, then chair of the University's Board of Governors, the Committee submitted its interim report on January 30, 1942. Committees internal to the University were established to act on the report's recommendations, thus the Survey Committee dissolved with no further formal reports. Many of the Survey Committee's recommendations were incorporated into the 1942 revisions of the University Act, while others, such as the creation of an affiliated campus in Calgary, were adopted later.

Alberta Women's Bureau
UAA · Corporate body · 1970 -

The Women's Bureau was established in 1966 by an Act of the Government of Alberta as the Women's Cultural and Information Bureau. It became the Women's Bureau in 1970, and in 1984 it was succeeded by the Women's Secretariat. Under the directorship of Phyllis Ellis, the Bureau compiled information on women's issues and made it available to individual women, women's groups and other interested parties through newsletters and other publications.

Alexander, William Hardy
UAA · Person

William Hardy Alexander was a professor at the University of Alberta. Alexander relied the suggestion of the colours for the U of A at a senate meeting on October 8, 1908, which would later gain approval. The colours were suggested by his wife, Marion Kirby Alexander.
Alexander is also credited for writing the words to the U of A song, Evergreen and Gold.

Allen, Willard Finlay
UAA · Person

Chemist, Administrator, 1924- . Dr. Willard Allen joined the staff of the Department of Chemistry in 1948. He served as president of the Canadian Association of University Teachers, 1969-1970. In 1971 he was appointed Associate Vice-President (Academic), to assist in the office's responsibility for faculties, schools, research institutes and ancillary services, as well as the research and Student Awards offices. Dr. Allen retired in 1984.

Alloway, Mary
UAA · Person · 1930-2018

Mary Macrae Alloway (nee Tocher) was born on January 10, 1930 in Edmonton, Alberta. She attended Parkdale and Eastwood schools for her early education. She completed her degree in Nursing from the University of Alberta (U of A) in 1952. After spending time raising her sons she returned to the U of A in 1970 to upgrade her BScN. In 1972 she became an Occupational Health Nurse with the City of Edmonton, where she worked for the next 19 years before retiring.

Alloway married her husband Douglas Ross Alloway in 1954 and had three sons; Doug, Brian, and Barry. Alloway passed away on September 17, 2018.

Almon, Bert
UAA · Person · 1943 -

Bert Almon was born in Port Arthur, Texas in 1943 during a hurricane. He has lived a fairly quiet life since. He completed a B.A. at the University of Texas at El Paso in 1965 and a Ph.D. at the University of New Mexico in 1971 having written the first dissertation on the Beat poet, Gary Snyder. He came to Canada to teach at the University of Alberta in 1968 and has become a Canadian citizen. He is married to the poet Olga Costopoulos and has four children. He began writing poetry in 1967. He teaches creative writing, modern literature and autobiography. More than thirty of his poetry students have gone on to publish books. He won the Writers' Guild of Alberta Award for poetry in 1998 for Earth Prime (Brick Books). He has been a Hawthornden Fellow in Poetry and a finalist in the Blackwell's / Times Literary Supplement Poetry Competition. His critical works include a study of the Southern novelist, William Humphrey (University of North Texas Press), and a book on autobiographies, This Stubborn Self, (TCU Press, 2002).

Alumni Association
UAA · Corporate body · 1915 -

The Alumni Association, formed in 1915, confers automatic lifetime membership, without fee, on every graduate of the University. It reviews programs, provides advice and support to the University and is represented on the Board of Governors and the Senate. A president is elected each year to head the Council; the President of the University is an honorary member, and the presidents of the Students' Union and the Graduate Students' Association are ex officio members of the Council. Branches of the Association have been formed throughout the world and their representatives also sit on the Council. Graduates from the professional schools (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Business, Nursing, Education, Forestry) can join special associations which promote the welfare of their Faculty under the aegis of the general Alumni Association. Elected secretaries kept the Association's records from 1915 to 1926. Geoffrey B. Taylor, Assistant Registrar, provided his unpaid services as Secretary from 1926 to 1946. A full-time paid position was established in that year. The purpose of the Alumni Affairs Office, headed by a Director, is to provide professional administrative management and support to the Association, and to oversee alumni involvement with the University. While it may be possible to distinguish between the activities of the Association and the Office, and between some of the papers of each, because the two are so intertwined and because the Office provides all of the administrative support necessary for the functioning of the Association, the Archives has combined the records in this description. Secretaries: 1946-1947 John Clemence Gordon Brown; 1947-1951 John William Evans Markle; 1951-1977 Alex Gilmour Markle

UAA · Corporate body · 1937-

The American Society for Information Sciences is a professional organization dedicated to advancing the field of information science and technology. Known today as the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), the organization promotes research, education, and professional development in the field. It sponsors conferences and events, publishes scholarly journals and books, and provides a wide range of resources and services to its members. There are also various geographically-defined chapters to encourage communication among members, as well as student chapters to foster fellowship and create informal contacts.

ASIS&T was founded in 1937 as the American Documentation Institute (ADI), with the mission of promoting the effective communication and dissemination of scientific and technical information. The organization was originally focused on the development of documentation systems for scientific and technical literature.

In 1968, the organization was renamed the American Society for Information Science (ASIS), reflecting its broader focus on the study of information science as a field. The name was again updated in 2000 to the American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), due to the growth of online databases. ASIS&T established an international presence in 2000 by opening a chapter in Europe, and later expanded further to include chapters in Asia and Africa.

In 2013, ASIS&T changed its name again to the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T), to better reflect the evolving nature of the field and the organization's global focus.

Over the years, ASIS&T has played a leading role in shaping the field of information science and technology, through its publications, conferences, and professional development programs. It has also been involved in the development of standards and guidelines for information management and retrieval.

Anderson, D. T.
UAA · Person · [193?]-

David Trevor Anderson, known as Trevor, earned a BA from the University of Manitoba in 1959. He was a Rhodes Scholar and earned degrees in jurisprudence and civil law from Oxford in 1961 and 1962.

Anderson was a professor in the University of Alberta Faculty of Law from about 1962-1971. He was involved in many faculty and university committees and helped establish the Institute of Law Research and Reform.

After leaving the University of Alberta, Anderson became a law professor and eventually dean at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law, serving as Director of Legal Education in 1971. He was a board member of the Manitoba Law Foundation in 1986-1989.

Anderson, Ethel Cameron
UAA · Person

Teacher, 1890-1982. Ethel C. Anderson was one of seven women who enrolled at the University of Alberta when it first opened in 1908. They called themselves the SIS (Society of Independent Spinsters), which became the Wauneita Club in the following year. Miss Anderson was student head of the women's athletics program before she graduated in 1912 as a member of the University's first graduating class. She subsequently received her teaching certificate in Calgary and taught in Edson and Edmonton, where she retired in 1953.

Anderson, Roland
UAA · Person · 1928-2016

Dr. Roland Frank Anderson was born in 1928 in London, England. He was the son of Frank William Anderson and Doris G. Anderson. At the age of 17 Anderson joined the Royal Navy. He later emigrated to Calgary, Alberta, Canada to take a job at a camera shop. Anderson soon enrolled at the University of British Columbia. He later completed his MA in English at the University of Wisconsin and his PhD at the University of Toronto.

Anderson was a professor in the Department of English at the University of Alberta (U of A) in Edmonton, Alberta. From 1976 to 1981 Anderson was the Chair of the Department of English at the U of A. Following his retirement, he moved to Missoula, Montana in 2011.

Anderson was married to his wife Linda (nee Woodbridge). Linda had two daughters, Dana and Gale, which Anderson helped raise from childhood. Anderson also had a son named Douglas. Anderson passed away on May 3, 2016.

Aoki, Ted Tetsuo
UAA · Person · 1919-2012

Tetsuo (Ted) Aoki was Professor Emeritus in the Department of Secondary Education at the University of Alberta. Aoki was born in Cumberland, British Columbia in 1919. His parents were graduates of a teachers college in Japan, and they moved to Canada in 1910 by the invitation from the Japanese community in Cumberland.

Aoki first went to the University of British Columbia to pursue his Bachelor of Commerce degree. After he and his family were forced to relocate to Southern Alberta in 1942, he worked picking sugar beets and cutting timber for three years until the end of World War II. Aoki began teaching in 1945 and was the first Japanese Canadian teacher in southern Alberta. He taught elementary and high schools in various locations in southern Alberta. In 1964, when he was Assistant Principal at Lethbridge Collegiate Institute, Aoki’s reputation in secondary education attracted the attention of Lawrence Downey, then Chair of Secondary Education at the University of Alberta, who was looking for a secondary social studies methods instructor. Aoki took the offer, and moved to Edmonton with his wife, June, and their three children Douglas, Michelle, and Edward.

Ted Aoki earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in education both from the University of Alberta. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Oregon. He was an academic staff member in the Department of Secondary Education at the University of Alberta from 1964 to 1985 and was Chair of the department from 1978 to 1985. He left Alberta to teach at the University of British Columbia, assisting with founding the Centre for the Study of Curriculum and Instruction. He also taught at the University of Lethbridge in summer courses. In 2005, Dr. Ted Aoki’s lectures were collated by W. F. Pinar and R. L. Irwin into the volume "Curriculum in a New Key: The Collected Work of Ted T. Aoki," which introduces a new generation to his scholarship.

In recognition of Aoki’s influence and contributions to Canadian curriculum studies, the Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies bestows Ted T. Aoki Award in his honor to recognize educators who made distinguished service. He received honorary doctorates from the University of Lethbridge (1988), the University of British Columbia, the University of Alberta, and the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Aoki died on August 31, 2012 in Vancouver, BC at the age of 92.

UAA · Corporate body · 1973 - 1988

Founded in 1972 as the Clothing Studies Association of Canada, the Apparel Studies Association of Canada Inc. was incorporated in 1973 and received its national charter in 1974. Its aim was to support research and facilitate professional communication among clothing researchers and users of research through newsletters and general meetings. Its head office was located in the Department of Clothing and Textiles at the University of Alberta. The Association was dissolved in 1988.

Archer, Violet
UAA · Person · 1913-2000

Violet Archer, distinguished composer and teacher, was born Violet Balestreri (Archer is the English translation of the Italian name) in Montreal on April 24, 1913. She studied piano and organ and received a Bachelor of Music degree in composition from McGill University in 1936, and studied organ with John Weatherseed at the Royal Canadian College of Organists. Throughout her years in Montreal, Archer was an active soloist, accompanist, and private music teacher as well as a percussionist with the Montreal Women's Symphony under the direction of Ethel Stark. She obtained her Bachelor of Music and Master of Music degrees in composition from Yale in 1948 and 1949. Amongst her teachers were Béla Bartók and Paul Hindemith.

Violet Archer was composer-in-residence at North Texas State College from 1950 to 1953 and taught at Cornell University in 1952. From 1953 to 1961 she taught at the University of Oklahoma, before coming to the University of Alberta in 1962. Here she remained until her retirement in 1978.

In addition to teaching, Dr. Archer also worked on behalf of the Canadian Folk Music Society, the Canadian Association of University Schools of Music, and served as the Western Canadian representative of the Canadian League of Composers for a number of years. One of Canada's most significant composers, she had a catalogue of over 300 works that included compositions for orchestra, choir, organ, and solo piano.

Dr. Archer was the recipient of countless honours and awards in recognition of her outstanding achievements. Besides receiving numerous honorary degrees, Archer was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1983; received the Canadian Music Council's Composer of the Year award in 1984; and in 1987 had the Canadian Music Centre Prairie Region library at the University of Calgary named after her. Other honours included being inducted into the Cultural Hall of Fame in Edmonton, and receiving the Sir Frederick Haultain prize for her contribution to music in 1987.

Violet Archer passed away in Ottawa on February 21, 2000 at the age of 86. In July 2021, the Violet Archer fonds was added to the Canada Memory of the World Register, which highlights the most meaningful documents in humanity's heritage and history.

Archibald, Eugenie
UAA · Person · [b. 18-?]

Eugenie Archibald was the first librarian at the University of Alberta in 1908-1911, in the university’s first home in the Queen Alexandra Elementary School. By 1939, Archibald was a librarian at Dalhousie University and the president of the Halifax Library Club.

Argue, Lois W.
UAA · Person · 1920-2017

Lois Argue was Clerk/Secretary, Office of the Registrar, 1947-1960 and Secretary, Office of the Superintendent of Buildings, 1960-1964.

Lois Winnifred Argue was born to Winnifred and Robert Albert Argue in Regina, Saskatchewan on December 12, 1920. She attended schools at Rouleau, Corning and Regina, Saskatchewan and later in Edmonton, Alberta.

Lois Argue joined the Royal Canadian Airforce Women’s Division in 1941 as a medical clerk and was posted to Number 2 Air Observers School based at Blatchford Field, North-West Staging Route, R.C.A.F. Station and Western Air Command at the Municipal Airport, Kingsway Avenue, Edmonton. Argue was the first woman assigned to the base, where she served as a medical assistant. During her time there she looked after the medical needs of thousands of men who were training for the war as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. She was one of the first fifty to join 700 Wing, R.C.A.F. Association and was a member of the Army, Navy, and Airforce Association.

Argue worked for the University of Alberta as a secretary in the Office of the Registrar from 1947 to 1960 and then as a secretary in the Office of the Superintendent of Buildings from 1960 to 1964. She was the newsletter editor for the Edmonton Treasure Hunters Association. She was also employed with University Hospital, Schlumberger of Canada, W.W.Cross Cancer Clinic, and Provincial Public Works until she retired in 1985.

Argue loved the outdoors, she was a member of the Alberta Fish & Game Association for twenty-five years. Argue was also a collector of history and a photographer. Over the years she both wrote and spoke about preserving the Municipal Airport and its history. She also spoke at the Edmonton Aviation Heritage Society and documented various historic events and buildings throughout the city. She has written for various media and for many old Edmonton families and compiled historical scrapbooks regarding articles of the past, present, and future, especially on women.

During her lifetime she was a member of the Alberta Writers Federation, Edmonton Author's Association, National and Canadian Wildlife, Ducks Unlimited, Civil Service Association and A.R.P.E.S., Alberta motor Association, the first woman to join the Edmonton Rifle & Revolver Club, and was instrumental in building and operating the first University Rifle and revolver Club. She was a member of the Edmonton Gun Club, Group Against Smoker's Pollution, People Against Impaired Driving, Edmonton Metal Detectors Association, Northern Alberta Pioneers, Wild Rose Antique Association, Calder Drop-In-Centre and the Edmonton Heritage Registry.

Argue died on December 11, 2017 at the age of 96. Her memorial service was held at the Alberta Aviation Museum on January 10, 2018.

Armour, Margaret-Ann
UAA · Person · 1939-2019

Dr. Margaret-Ann Armour was born in Glasgow, Scotland on September 6, 1939 to Annie Dunlop and Robert Armour. She was raised by her mother, a teacher who fostered her curiosity about the science of everything, beginning with Scottish baking. Armour and her mother lived in a town between Dundee and Aberdeen, before moving to Penicuik where Armour attended Lasswade, the local school there. It was here that Armour’s interest in science was fostered.

Armour attended the University of Edinburgh where she obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry. She then returned to Penicuik where she worked as a research chemist in one of the paper-making companies there. Her research in this industry focused on finding better coatings for paper. She worked with colleagues at the universities of Edinburgh and London and synthesized and tested many compounds. It was this research that resulted in Armour being awarded a Master of Science degree from the University of Edinburgh.

Armour moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to pursue her PhD in organic chemistry at the University of Alberta. After receiving her PhD in 1970, she returned to the University of Edinburgh for her postdoctoral fellowship, studying with Professor John Cadogan. She later accepted an offer to complete her post-doc at the University of Alberta’s Department of Biochemistry. For five years, she ran the undergraduate senior organic chemistry labs and served as a research associate to Professor Satoru Masamune.

In 1979, Armour joined the University of Alberta chemistry department. From 1989 to 2005 she served as assistant chair. Much of her career focused on research and teaching in hazardous chemical waste handling and disposal. She published the Hazardous Laboratory Chemicals Disposal Guide, becoming an international expert in the field, working with, among others, the World Health Organization.
For more than a quarter of a century, Armour was Canada’s premier ambassador of science, volunteering tirelessly to encourage girls and young women to consider careers in the sciences and engineering. She formed the WISEST (Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science and Technology) in 1982 and the WinSETT Centre (Canadian Centre for Women in Science, Engineering, Trades and Technology). Through these programs and related activities, Armour played a pivotal role as a mentor and a significant role model for young women. After her retirement, Armour accepted an invitation to become associate dean of science for diversity at the University of Alberta responsible for diversity.
Throughout her career Armour received a number of awards for her research, teaching and outreach activities, including a 3M Teaching Fellowship, Canada’s premier award for undergraduate teaching; a Governor General’s Award in Commemoration of the Persons Case; and the Montreal Medal from the Chemical Institute of Canada. She was twice named one of the top 100 most powerful women in Canada by the Women’s Executive Network, and received an Innovator Award at the 2011 APEC Summit on Women in the Economy. Armour was selected as one of 23 women to participate in the creation of the Charlottetown 2014 Declaration. She was named a member of the Order of Canada in 2006 and in 2017 was named a Canada 150 ambassador by the Government of Canada.
Armour received honorary doctorates from the University of British Columbia, the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, MacEwan University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, the University of Edinburgh and the University of Alberta, as well as a degree from Concordia University of Edmonton presented just the day before her death. She was also committed to serving the broader community and was involved in the Edmonton Glenora Rotary Club, Beta Sigma Phi and St. Stephen’s College where she served with distinction as Board Chair. In 2016, a new public school in southwest Edmonton was named after Armour.
Dr. Margaret-Ann Armour died on May 25, 2019.

Armstrong, Herbert Stoker
UAA · Person · [1915?]-1993

Herbert Stoker Armstrong was the first President of the University of Calgary. He was born in Toronto, Ontario and completed his early education in Toronto. He obtained his B.A. and M.A. in Geology from the University of Toronto. In 1942 he received his PhD in Economic Geology from the University of Chicago. Later, he would go on to receive his D.Sc at McMaster University, and D.U.C in Calgary, Alberta.

Armstrong taught at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, from 1941 to 1962. Beginning in 1950 he was the Dean of the Arts and Science Faculty at McMaster University for 12 years. He joined the University of Alberta (U of A) in 1962, where he held the position as a Professor of Geology and Dean of the Faculty of Science. In 1963, he was appointed Vice-President (Academic) of the U of A. In 1964, he took the appointment and became the first President of the University of Alberta at Calgary. When the University of Calgary received autonomy in 1966, Armstrong assumed the dual role of President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calgary until 1968. He retired from the position of Dean of Graduate Studies at the University of Guelph.

Armstrong served on many civic, provincial, national and international bodies of science and culture. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society in 1956 and the Royal Society of Canada in 1957. In 1961 he was elected to obtain membership in the Geological Society of Finland. He was also President of the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Board Member of the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra and later Edmonton Symphony Society, Calgary Philharmonic Society and Calgary Allied Arts Council.

Armstrong married Kathleen (nee Halbert) and had two daughters, Catherine Frances and Margaret Shera. He died at the age of 78 at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Guelph, Ontario on March 5, 1993.

UAA · Corporate body

The Assiniboia Community Housing Cooperative (ACHC) began its existence known as Campus Co-operative Association in March of 1967. Its initiative at that time was to provide low-cost housing to students at the University of Alberta, in a time before HUB, Lister Hall, or Michener Park were completed. In September of 1967, the University’s Board of Governors, whose task it was to oversee University-owned properties, rented six houses to the fledgling organization in the North Garneau area. By the early 1970’s, the Co-op reached its membership peak of about 65 members, and purchased their first house in the Strathcona area. A second home was purchased in 1973 in Parkallen. Using a ‘capital loan’ system where members ‘loaned’ the Co-op $25 each upon taking out membership, monies were collected for initial down payments on homes. A ‘capital levy’ plan was later introduced whereby the Co-op charged a capital levy per member, on top of the monthly housing charge, as a means of raising capital for the expansion of the Co-op and for meeting maintenance costs on existing properties. In the early 1970’s, as well, the Co-op obtained a further four rented houses from the City of Edmonton. Original University-owned houses were occasionally demolished in the North Garneau neighbourhood, and the Co-op received other houses in replacement. A few other houses were rented from private landlords and by the summer of 1973, there were twelve houses in the Campus Co-operative Association. In 1977 the Campus Co-operative Association was dissolved by the Co-op Development Branch of the Alberta Department of Consumer and Corporate body Affairs for failing to submit an audit form on time. A new set of by-laws and a policy manual were developed and the Co-op was reincorporated on September 27, 1978 as the Campus Co-operative Association (1977). By 1981, the new name of Assiniboia Community Housing Cooperative was chosen to reflect a shift away from a majority student membership which prevailed at its inception in 1967. Membership in the houses was open to anyone accepted by the members of a Co-op household, and subsequently approved by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors consisted of four executive members elected at semi-annual general meetings, and of one house representative from each house; board meetings were held monthly, and were open to the general membership to attend. Various committees were established to deal with specific matters, and members were expected to work on a committee or do some other specified work for the Cooperative. Members also shared cooking and other house chores. Membership criteria evolved over time to accept both student and non-student membership, and houses were co-ed. In 1986, the AHCC owned five houses and ceased leasing property from the University. While the records in the fonds go only to 1990, the Assiniboia Community Housing Cooperative continues to function. They are a listed entry in the University of Alberta’s Student Union Housing Registry (as of 2006), and advertise three houses available in the Cooperative.

UAA · Corporate body · 1966 -

The University Professional Librarians' Group, founded in 1960, was succeeded in 1966 by the Association of Professional Librairians of the University of Alberta (APLUA) which, unlike its predecessor, has a formal constitution. Its mandate includes the promotion and advancement of the interests and welfare of professional librarians to provide the best possible professional service. APLUA also promotes continuing education and encourages an interest in and knowledge of the profession at all levels and in all types of libraries.

UAA · Corporate body

In 1987 University of Alberta Professors Emeriti Dr. Tom Nelson, Dr. Earle Waugh, and Prof. Sharon Brintnell, formed a committee to redress the absence of provisions that support continuation and development of the research, professional, and public service roles that the professors had begun in their academic career. The original committee, chaired by Dr. Earle Waugh, quickly built interest both within and beyond the University community. A survey was then undertaken that showed the formation of an association of Professors Emiriti was welcomed by a majority of the Alberta Academic community that would facilitate the individual and collective development of the University of Alberta Emeriti. In addition this association was seen as a vehicle that would safeguard their status and privileges. With support from the federal government, the department of advanced education, as well as then University President Dr. Myer Horowitz, the Association opened an office in the Edmonton neighborhood of Garneau. The association began publishing a registry and newsletter, and in May 1987 the Constitution of the Association was formed. The association also sponsors several groups for Emeriti where members can meet, listen to guest speakers and discuss subjects such as the perils and opportunities of retired life, travel, and books.

UAA · Corporate body · 1945 - 1959

In 1936 the President created a Faulty Relations Council to act as a liaison between the Univeersity administration and the academic staff. Its members were appointed. In 1945 the Association of Teaching Staff of the University of Alberta was established, with the Faculty Relations Council remaining as its executive. In 1950 the ATSUA approved a new constitution by which it initiated the election of the executive and discontinued the Faculty Relations Council. The ATSUA revised its constitution in 1959 and changed its name to AASUA.

UAA · Corporate body

In 1936 the President created a Faculty Relations Council to act as a liaison between the University administration and the academic staff. Its members were appointed. In 1945 the Association of Teaching Staff of the University of Alberta was established, with the Faculty Relations Council remaining as its executive. In 1950 the ATSUA approved a new constitution, by which it initiated the election of the executive and discontinued the Faculty Relations Council. The ATSUA revised its constitution in 1959 and changed its name to the AASUA. The organization underwent another name change in 1961 to AASUAE (Edmonton) to distinguish it from the Calgary campus branch, the AASUAC (Calgary). When the University of Calgary became autonomous in 1966, the Edmonton association re-assumed the name AASUA. The AASUA's aim is to represent academic staff at the University of Alberta through collective bargaining, grievance representation, and expression of opinion.

UAA · Corporate body

The Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) was formed in 1911 and assumed its present name in 1965. Its members are Canada's public and private, not-for-profit universities and university-degree level colleges. Four provincial and regional associations of universities and some 20 national organizations representing specific academic or administrative interests are also members. A voluntary organization based in Ottawa, the AUCC promotes and facilitates co-operation and sharing among its members, and administers under contract scholarships and international programs. The AUCC also publishes a magazine, University Affairs, and an annual Directory of Canadian Universities.